Author Topic: Knife  (Read 4645 times)

Offline Bone pile

Knife
« on: November 29, 2008, 08:24:01 pm »
I finished a knife that's been on the back bunner for awhile(love these long weekends)Stopped by a freinds leather shop and dug around in his scraps and put a sheath together for it.First time I tried anything like this ,came out OK.Now I have ideas for the next one.The blade is white coral the photo don't show flake lines very well.I need to improve my photo skills.

Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Knife
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 08:31:07 pm »
Sheesh Roger - you just don't have any quit in ya ;D. That is one fine looking blade! and a nice debitage pile behind it, or is that your quarry?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 09:46:25 pm »
 Wow, missed this one, Roger. Nice looking point and sheath. How about some close ups?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 07:59:38 pm »
Her's a different shot,I'm pulling these off of Photo bucket,don't know why so small.Anywho hope this one is better.

Hope all is well and good with y'all
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 09:42:25 pm »
Sweet! Great looking knife-that's a wicked looking sucker..
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 09:50:02 pm »
   Ahhh, that is nice. I bet, let's see, it started out as a Marion, Newnan, or,, no tang's not long enough for a Hillsborough. Sweet.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 09:58:50 pm »
 :) :) :) The knife and scabard are truely beautiful!!! Have been trying to figure out just where I would put them on display!  Watcher
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 03:42:15 am »

Arrrrgggghhh!!!!!  I think I will just start buying the points.  I will be better off, than buying all those band aids, and getting frustrated, with a halfway decent arrow head, only to see it break in half, or start out with a nice piece of rock, and end up with a pile of flakes, and nugget.  Then, I see this stuff!!  Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! :( :( :(

Wayne

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 08:32:37 am »
Hey wayne you should see the pile of broken stuff I have!If I get two out of three with no major flaws it's a good day.It's a learning prossess,I learned not to throw the busted peices quite as far!I have a bunch of preforms with steps so big you'd trip over them.And band-aids,I can slap one on so fast I'm thinkin' about a future in the medical feild.Remember this is fun,enjoy the challange.
Bone pile- king of the scrap pile
Venice Florida

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 04:42:46 pm »

Thanks Bone pile.  I think one problem I have, is that Eddie gave me a bucket with a mixture of different kinds of stones, a couple pieces of the stuff, that Cow Boy knocked off the knobs of hell, and some Obsidian, and various other stuff, including some colored glass.  Some of the nicer stuff, I am saving for when I finally get to where I can get the rock thin, without having a thin nugget.  I try one method on a piece of stone, and it seems to work, then it doesn't, and then I try it on another piece of rock, it breaks, in half.  Anywhoo, I was just out there, and had to quit, because, My Girlfirend whined, until I said I would take her out to Sushi.  Crap, $Ching, Ching$$!  Well at least I like it too.  Anyway, I will keep at it, if for no other reason than pure spite to the Lithic Gods......Maybe they will tire of laughing at me, and actually feel sorry for me.  I would just like to be able to take a thick piece of rock, and thin it down.  Once thin, I can do fairly well.  It is just getting it thin, and then I would like to be able to make nice long flakes, consistently.  I have tried all different angles, on bopping, and still only occasionally get a nice long flake to pop off.  Then I start getting steps, and such.  But, as the Chinese guy in the Sand Pebbles, said, Hammer, Hammer, Hammer!  I have quite a flake pile, but only six decent arrow heads.  I said decent, not good.  But it is an improvement over what I was doing.  But it takes me forever, and a day to make just one.  Perhaps, when I go to bed tonight, and I put on my cutest baby face,  O:)( Which ain't what it used to be) :( and pray to finally learn how to get em thin.  OK, I gotta go get sushi. :D