Author Topic: How do I fletch a Soar's Battle shaft?  (Read 15071 times)

youngbowyer

Re: How do I fletch a Soar's Battle shaft?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 09:33:21 pm »
I wrapped em tight with cotton thread.

Forget what I said! I remember that time, it was the first time i tried to make arrows and I did the nocks with the GRAIN. That's why they split. I made 1 arrows out of 12 to see if it will split.

Nick

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 09:40:50 pm »
Hey Steve uhh i'm not 100% sure he uses bound arrows on is 123lber i'm just assuming as the arrows he uses in his first shots of his 123lber in the video on youtube look just like the ones he made in the Clint Eastwood style making arrows video also on youtube.

youngbowyer

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 09:49:59 pm »
I asked Nick once if he added horn inserts and he said that a strongly bound nock works just as well. He said that 50% of his arrows have horn inserts if he wants them to make as authentic as possible. Personally I think if you have a 3/8 shaft with a self nock it will stay good because it's thicker and you will have thick wood at the sides compared to 5/16 or 11/32.

Offline OlaP

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 04:55:27 pm »
Hi again,
This is how the fletchings of my first shafts turned out:
Paralell shaft of pine 3/8" diameter. Ivory slices (approx. 1 3/4" long) from a junkyard piano. I aimed for true barred turkey cock feather, but recieved RW feathers when I only had white LW feathers at home, aarrgh! So I used black LW for cock feather instead. Painted the fletching area with "verdi gris" green before glueing the feathers in place (although it looks rather dark in the picture).

Fletching 7 1/2" by 3/4"and bound with red Barbour 18/3 linen thread. Spine ~80#, which should fit my ash selfbow. Now i'm just waiting for the bodkins to arrive from Steve.
Cheers,
Ola

stevesjem

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 05:25:58 pm »
Packaged and posted today Ola
Cheers
Steve

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 05:37:21 pm »
Very nice arrows OlaP!  8) Where do you get your "verdi gris" green?  Is it in pigment form?  Thanks.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

youngbowyer

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 06:13:44 pm »
Those are some very inspiring arrows olap :D ;D I am now thinking of maybe painting my horn inserts white :o
What kind of heads are you ordering. Again beautiful work!

Offline OlaP

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2008, 04:05:23 am »
Steve: Perfect!
jackcrafty: I mixed some acrylic to what is my interpretation of the colour, based on the information I have on "verdi gris" colour in oil paintings. I will try to get some copper carbonate to mix directly with glue, but so far ...
youngbowyer: thank you, but I would have used cow horn if I had any. The heads will be 3/8" drop forged bodkins from http://www.diyarchery.co.uk

Offline Loki

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2008, 11:50:10 am »
Excellent arrows!!
I remember YeomanBowman or was it Outcaste (?) using Verdi Gris on some arrows,maybe worth a PM for the Recipe?

I am now thinking of maybe painting my horn inserts white
I think you can use Bleach to turn your black Horn white ? I'll give it a try see if it works  :).
Durham,England