Author Topic: feral hogs with primitive gear?  (Read 25199 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: feral hogs with primitive gear?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 10:40:20 pm »
 Kegan, the one I shot was about 10' with a 60# bow. I was shooting 125grn. grizzley's. I have killed a boat-load of them with 22 rifles.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 10:45:20 pm »
Kegan.......Like Eddie said . I have killed more than I can remember with bows from #45 lbs ta #60 lbs. Ya need a good shot thats it. That translates inta like has been said............... head er eye. Never carried a back up pistol. Whats a pistol anyway ? ;D..bob

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2008, 12:49:27 am »
Guys I think you need to break out some pictures to convince him!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

StickBender55

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2008, 09:47:52 am »
Looking at photos from one of the outfitters from another forum it looks a good number of the shots are taken forward and low to get the heart. These were all taken with traditional equipment.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2008, 11:32:49 am »
Thanks Bob and Eddie, if anyone would you, it would be you guys :). An eye shot's lethal on a hog?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2008, 11:40:28 am »
This thread has a couple proof photos, Eddie's friend Charlie also killed a big ol' sow with trad gear on this trip, but I didn't get a pic of it:
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,7723.0.html

More:
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,2509.0.html
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2008, 06:00:10 pm »
 Kegan...........Yesiree eyes er ear ! Think what I would do ta you ! :o Course Eddies shot in middle of head will do it real good ! ;D,,,,bob

Offline Kegan

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2008, 06:05:56 pm »
Kegan...........Yesiree eyes er ear ! Think what I would do ta you ! :o Course Eddies shot in middle of head will do it real good ! ;D,,,,bob

Darni it, you've guys have gone and gotten me all excited for pig hunting now ;D!

The game commisoion was having trouble with feral hogs in some parts of PA... >:D

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2008, 07:22:39 pm »
I'm just waiting for them to show up in WA! They're spreading so fast I expect there will be local poppulations here in 10 - 15 years. YUM!!!!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2008, 12:24:39 pm »
Tiller, be careful what you wish for. We had a sever problem with the buggers about a year ago. They were tearing up all our crops. Hunting them was not getting the job done so we started trapping them. We caught 63 hogs in a 4 week period in 2 traps not counting the ones killed by hunters. We had people huntin with dogs day and night and we finally have them under control. They're kind of like huntin deer around here now, they're still here but kinda under control for now.

John
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2008, 04:11:41 pm »
I hear ya! But they taste GOOOD!!!!

If I could go out my back door to hunt pigs on a daily basis I would be out there almost all the time.

64 pigs in two traps??? What did you do with all the meat?

Offline Juniper

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2008, 08:58:30 pm »
paulc, I've haven't taken any hogs with primitive equipment, but have killed four with traditional equipment.  55# recurve and RD longbow, very sharp 2blade broadhead.  My theory on hogs is good close range shots.  All of the hogs I've taken have been within 15yds and hit directly behind the shoulder, no higher than mid body.  Even on a 150# boar, I got complete penetration of the broadhead (arrow stayed in) found hog 100yds away.  I have also lost a few hogs with marginal hits (neck, high behind shoulder, and yes the mighty head shot)  hogs are tough and if you don't hit them right, you won't find them very often. 

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2008, 02:04:14 am »
                              This is how they Hunt Hogs in the Texas Hill Country.............. >:D

Don't know about Crude....but efficient

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2008, 08:08:59 am »
We have a few wild pigs running around up here in Da UP, couple of fenced in hunting places have them and
as my grandpa always told me "Ya can't fence in a pig"
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2008, 05:20:16 pm »
My god thats a lot of piggies! What did ya do with them all?