Author Topic: feral hogs with primitive gear?  (Read 25263 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: feral hogs with primitive gear?
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2008, 09:57:19 am »
You'd better have on your Kevlar leggins when the circle starts getting tight. ;D Ever heard a big boar popping his tushes at you? It's one of those sounds that makes you forget about us supposedly being the dominant species..... :o
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2008, 04:17:49 pm »
Nah, Steve I never have. But I sure want to! Then after hearing that sound a stone tipped point goes right through the boiler room! Joy is roasted wild pig over an open fire!!!!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Kegan

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2008, 07:15:32 pm »
Sounds like hunting them is challenging...

Darn, my mouth's watering again ;D.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2008, 10:31:42 pm »
 Yep, I heard that JOYFULL sound of Bern's obsidean going into a hog. Sounded like a baseball bat hitting it from 7' away. Watched that little piggie walk off into the palmetto. He also had another one sticking out from both sides with a Wendsel on it. Cade and I trailed and chased that one through the palmetto's for two hours. The obsidean arrow hit in the back left ham and exited it the front right shoulder.

Also hit one the morning before, sitting in a treestand 10' above, a 150# range Boar, with a 44 mag in the forehead, he ran and bounced off a tree and never recovered him when he got in the Palmetto's. I also so a guy that got bit by a sow, catching hogs at night with dogs. She started at his left hand and quit chewing and breaking bones half way above his elbow. It wasn't real bad until a month later when all the nasty infection's started. He missed over a years work and almost lost his arm. But they are fun and exciting to hunt and if you are not stupid it's easy.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2008, 03:01:23 am »
I've heard never to corner them since thats what will definitely guaranty a charge.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2008, 01:12:03 am »
  I've never had one charge unless you count that old sow Chris Cade was talking about that turned around and started popping her teeth at us. She was already dead and just didn't know it.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2008, 01:14:33 am »
 Also never had one use my american express ! er charge card er I mean CHARGE !  ;D.bob

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2008, 03:10:09 pm »
 ;D

Offline Traxx

« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2008, 03:40:56 pm »
Yes Sir!!!!!
It aint the hogs that charge ya,its the Ranch owner,or the person leasing the hunting rights to the ranch that CHARGE ya.They charge ya bigtime too.I remember when Ranch owners used to dang near pay you to eliminate a few of em.They would at least,put you up n feed you to kill a few off.Them days are long gone.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2008, 04:33:29 pm »
  They trap them by the thousands down here in Florida and get bought by the Game ranches out west.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Traxx

« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2008, 06:07:10 pm »
I dont doubt that at all Eddie.15 yrs ago,you didnt even need a license to hunt em,thats how much of a nuisence they were considered.Then they started selling over the counter tags for em.I saw the writeing on the wall then.People found out,they could make big money off em.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2008, 10:16:59 pm »
   Todd, there was a story in one of the papers here about a guy that has the nusaince trapping license for the State Parks here. I think he ships something like 10,000 hogs a year out west. Whats funny, It's against the law to transport wild hogs alive in Florida.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2008, 11:39:33 pm »
  Still dont need a Pemit in Texas for Hogs...... justa A Small Game Licence covers everything...except deer and Migratory..and a lot of Ranchers will still let you kill em for free.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 12:07:48 am by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline flungonin

« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2009, 10:54:38 pm »
I've been hunting them for years. The notion of driving them into a circle is naive. Have you ever tried to stop a #150 pound hog on the run and he runs into your net or pallet. He'll move you and fast, now multiply that by say 20 to 40. Your going down. Even a heart shot and I have plenty, takes 10-12 secs. And if your on the ground and one is pissed your nothing but cheese and guess who the cheese grater is??  I hunted Pa in Mar one year, and wasn't at all ready for the way these hogs had burrowed in the ground with only their top 1/4 exposed. If they were there long enough the snow camouflaged them. We came up a draw and onto a saddle in the hills near Tioga and the ground seem to come to life. Everywhere they were springing up. Quite different than Ca. near Montery.  Chester in Eastern Texas, is even more different than that, in that they burrow up against and under downed trees and limbs. When one busts out the others follow suite. Maybe two in there or 40. And they are all moving fast and every direction. All my hogs have been taken with recurve or longbow. Two bladed broadhead, shot low and angling forward. Theres a couple of other web sites that will give you a lot more information on taken hogs with bow or gun even trapping. I don't know if this site will let another site be mentioned, so PM me and I'll give the web site out for that. On another note most of the bows on here that are featured 45 lbs and above used within 15 yds will do the job as long as the hit is where its supposed to be and the broadhead is sharp. I know some can hit at further distances and get the same results. Personally, I like the adrenalin of getting as close as possible and making the best shot possible.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2009, 11:10:43 pm »
  If you want the adrenalin rush , go after them at night with a couple of dogs, a Mini-Mag light, and catch and zip tie them and bring them out alive. Or just stick them with a knife. Most of my kills with a bow has been about 10 yards or less, on the ground.
Lakeland, Florida