Author Topic: horn inserts i file away too much  (Read 15068 times)

youngbowyer

Re: horn inserts i file away too much
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 04:58:02 pm »
thankyou loki, you helped me a lot.
I always put horn inserts in for the look and also so my arrows will last long!
Just a couple of questions(that's what i am known for, my questions:P)
When you put in the horn do you file away the exess horn or do you saw it away?
I have all those tools except a bandsaw. Thanks!!

Offline Loki

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 05:14:20 pm »
I dont have a Bandsaw either,it's a hand held Backsaw  ;D.
I use Emery Cloth to remove the excess horn and to shape the top of the arrow,it chew's through wood!
Durham,England

Offline mole

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 05:24:32 pm »
How do you guys get your horn inserts?  Do you just buy a cow horn and saw it into strips?  How do you get it close to right thickness?

Thanks,
John
Northeast Georgia

youngbowyer

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 05:30:13 pm »
How do you guys get your horn inserts?  Do you just buy a cow horn and saw it into strips?  How do you get it close to right thickness?
 Start another topic!!! kidding.
I import mine from england. www.thelongbowshop.com they sell horn inserts that are allready cut in strips thats are 1.2 inches wide and they are 3.2 inches long and 3 millimeters thick. They ship anywhere in the world! Just choose the currencey on the box in the left. Hope this helps!
Tom
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 08:21:18 pm by youngbowyer »

Offline mole

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 02:27:43 pm »
Thanks for the info youngbowyer.  That place is out of stock and when I inquired by e-mail (recieved a reply in about half an hour) he stated that he'd be out of stock for a few weeks.  Anyone have any sources hidden away?

Thanks,
John
Northeast Georgia

Offline Et_tu_brute

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2008, 02:37:58 pm »
Hi, if you want to buy in bulk go for highland horn http://www.highlandhorn.com/ARCHERY/12.htm Their catalogue wont be back up until the start of Januray but they sell bulk packs which work out much cheaper. Richard Head sells them, though I'm not sure if he has them in stock at the moment http://www.english-longbow.co.uk/cat20.htm

If you have the facilities to cut them yourself then 3 rivers have blocks of horn http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=6339

youngbowyer

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2008, 05:18:56 pm »
Thanks for the info youngbowyer.  That place is out of stock and when I inquired by e-mail (recieved a reply in about half an hour) he stated that he'd be out of stock for a few weeks.  Anyone have any sources hidden away?

Thanks,
John

If the guy says theyll be back in a couple of weeks it is true. He is very honest! I would wait till they r back.

Offline Loki

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2008, 07:11:53 pm »
If your stuck for horn you can use plastic from old DVD boxes,i've never tried it but some of the lads on the WarBow site allway's use it.The Boxes are the perfect thickness and you can cut them however long you like with a pair of strong scissors,i think it's actually stronger than Horn but obviously the authenticity goes out the window :).
Durham,England