Author Topic: What's a good way to hold a stave?  (Read 4316 times)

Offline Josh Shuck

What's a good way to hold a stave?
« on: December 20, 2008, 01:40:13 pm »
Long story short I had to down size.  I am now in an apartment and much to my girfriend's dismay I turned a storage closet into my wood working shop.  Anyone have  a creative way that I can hold a stave while working?  I can simply hold onto a bow with my hand for filing/scraping but it doesn't work so great with a draw knife, lol.  Basically something other than a vise mounted on a bench.

Thanks!!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: What's a good way to hold a stave?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 03:01:32 pm »
You can make a clamp from a circle of rope looped over your foot, around the stave and back over your foot. I believe someone posted this recently on here somewhere.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 03:08:41 pm »
What Pat said, ricktrojanowski posted it in his build along heres a link

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,8703.0.html
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 07:50:02 pm »
i have learned to push of end up against a solid surface (mine is my stone fireplace) and the other end against my chest with a piece of leather in between and then i can scrape or chase a ring or do what ever i need.  kinda primitive at best..but i guess thats the name of the game.- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Jesse

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 09:25:14 pm »
You could get some quick release clamps and clamp to the kitchen table or outside railing or something.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 06:46:52 am »
When I'm debarking or chasing a ring.  I tie the stave to a tree upright.  Then drawknife down.  It gets a bit tough when you get to the ends.  I came up with this due to a lack of equipment.  Now I actually prefer it to putting it horizontally in a vice.  So you could probably put a post in your closet.  Maybe one of those metal zip columns.  This way you could temporarily install it when in use then take it out when you are done with it.  I hope you don't have downstairs neighbors if you try this. :o
Traverse City, MI

triton

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 11:27:12 am »

Offline Josh Shuck

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 04:01:27 pm »

There is so much talent here!  Thanks for the help guys. 

(Although my downstairs neighbors might feel differently)  >:D

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 09:31:14 am »
Pedestal vice. Mount a smallish vice to about a 2" piece of pipe, weld a round metal plate to the bottom, and bolt the bottom to the floor. Takes up very little room.