Author Topic: Cherry?  (Read 6413 times)

Offline Hickoryswitch

Re: Cherry?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 09:01:27 pm »
According to the TBB2 cherry has a good elasticity in compression but is a little tension weak. I made a couple little bows outa some of the cherry I cut down and they always broke from back failure. Not saying anyone is wrong just 2 cents.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2009, 11:35:43 am »
Rosa, seems like I remember reading somewhere that after studying the original Holmegaard more, they decided that it wasn't wrong-side out. I think Comstock even said this in one of the later TBBs.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 11:58:29 am »
I cut down a small cherry(8"dia) last summer ,I was suprised how hard it was (with the thumb nail test), compared with its weight, and very straight grain, but still have been unsure about how to best use it, so all the above is useful info.
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

rosa

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 12:39:02 pm »
Ok Hillbilly, I 'm reading the TBBs for the second time, I'm now at page 98 in III. Become a little empty, had to read somthing else than bow stuff. But will continue studying soon. The "log" is not dry yet, it's tree days old, I painted the ends. I will do some work on it during the this weekend I hope.

What I try to say is: Thanks for the tip Hillbilly.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 12:42:42 pm »
If the log is in the round, you should at least split it in half so the moisture has a place to escape from. 
  I see you are from Europe. What type of cherry is your log?      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

rosa

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2009, 05:47:36 am »
I don't know what cherry it is. It's an old tree, I've lived in my house about 5 years. About the tree? I've seen pictures that indicate that the garden, and the tree has been around since the 70s.

The reason I cut some of it down, was because "the touch of jungle" was overwhelming. And then I have to try to make a bow ;) Theres not much good bow-wood around here, the best is Rowan (Sorbus aucuparia) and is plenty of it, but I understand this is mediocre to.

But I think there have been hunters here, for at least 1000 (lot of viking history here) years it has been one of the best farming lands i Norway, but some people has been here before that we know that, of course yhere was fish... but someone had to make bows. I also try to explore the Sami-people bows, not very much is written - but some. I'm aware of Ragnar Insulander and know that Ivar Malde has written about the two-wood bows, i.e. Insulanders Ørbyhus-bow is the only "old" remaining sami-bow. Where I live is "south"-sami area, (not sure this is the correct term in english). 

If anyone know about some other writers I would be very happy. I know that that PA has published one article by Insulander, does anyone have this one I pay for it. Edit: It is Primitive Archer", vol 4, issue 4, 1996. pdf-file is prefered, i'll pay the costs.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 06:29:39 am by rosa »