Author Topic: Dacite or Novaculite?  (Read 10562 times)

AKAPK

Re: Dacite or Novaculite?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 06:31:40 pm »
Is daciute the same as grey Obsian?

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 07:32:09 pm »
from my point of view no...they have some same character but are differant....when you have a rock that is part obsidian and part dacite you can really see the difference...but dacite is a wonderful rock to chip and i love seeing the flake scares in that rock makes it look really cool...some people might have a differant opinion than me but when you live in the land of dacite you really get to know what its like.john

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 08:31:36 pm »
David: What little Dacite and Novaculite I've worked both flake very easily and make good points (heat treated Novaculite that is). I like em both so could'nt reccomend one over the other - all that stuff is easy compared to what I'm used to hitting :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

AKAPK

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 02:05:26 am »
 :)

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 08:38:03 am »
WhenI started making points I knapped both and they were good for learning the ropes.No pockets ,fossils,crystals,grains........hey I'd like some more!
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 03:58:52 pm »
 Man I'd have to go against everyone and say Novaculite (heat treated) and like mullet said it has to be heated right or it will still be rough,

This is probably my best and favorite point I've knapped to date. it was from a large nicely heated spall.
 And the 2nd was outa a not so well heated slab and i dont like it as much.

Dacite is a joy to knapp to and probably the recommended rock for  beginner.. Novaculite will do what i call finger nail easy. and that will make it harder to presher flake.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mililani Hawaii

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009, 05:42:19 pm »
I've done most of my stuff in Dacite on Obsidian. I think, depending on the grade, dacite is great.  Some dacite knapps more easily than others. The stuff that is almost bassalt but still glassy is tough and really sharp. I like to make points from this that I would want to stand up to some punishment. But Obsidian on the other hand is still sharper and will kill a deer or any other animal just as well.

Just my two cents worth!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

elkbow

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2009, 10:08:20 pm »
a guy from work gave me a big chunk of obsidian he found in a creek bed,color is purple.my question is do i need to heat this stuff and if so,how do i do it?

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009, 01:03:02 am »
Obsidian needs not heat treatment. Now the thing is ...."Purple?"  Is it irridescent? Shimmers in the light? If so you have rainbow obsidian. Nice stuff but make sure you prepare your platforms well. It tends to fracture along its planes where the colors differ. So hing flakes can happen if you dont prepare platforms well.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2009, 03:17:03 am »
there are probably 100 types of obsidian.. you can find the stuff from south America through Mexico and USA and Canada.. also in japan and on most islands. with every color in the spectrum and all grades..  just most common obsidian comes from around glass butts and those are the colors most people know.
Mililani Hawaii