Author Topic: Sinew tips from a first timer (for beginners like me)  (Read 4131 times)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Sinew tips from a first timer (for beginners like me)
« on: February 28, 2009, 08:20:46 pm »
I backed a bow with sinew and hide glue for the first time.   I thought I would share a couple of tips I learned along the way.  Since it was my first time attempting sinewing, the tips I have are probably obvious to those with experience, but they might help a beginner like myself.

1. Make sure you pick a work area that can get really messy.  And don't use anything for the project that belongs to your wife, mother, sister etc.  (It will get ruined. :o)
2. Shorter bundles are much easier to work with.  It is much easier to get them to lay down smooth and straight than it was with long bundles.
3. Make sure you add water to your glue regularly.  It gets thick pretty quick.  When it is too thick it makes for a sloppy job.
4. Take time to align the fibers in the bundle after you "squeegee" off the excess glue.
5. After you "squeegee" the glue off your sinew bundle clean you hands well with water.  Your bundle will lay down much easier when working with clean hands.
6. Figure on it taking 2X as long as you think.  It did for me, maybey I am just slow.

I finally got feeling like I was "getting it" about 3/4 of the way through the 2nd layer of sinew.  I'm going to let those layers dry for a week or so then crown it with a couple of layers down the center.
Traverse City, MI

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Sinew tips from a first timer (for beginners like me)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 01:11:43 am »
5. After you "squeegee" the glue off your sinew bundle clean you hands well with water.  Your bundle will lay down much easier when working with clean hands.

Amen  ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 10:38:16 am »
you mean you made a mess???? ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 12:20:03 pm »
I found a pan of warm water and a damp towel were my best tools when putting down sinew. ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 12:27:34 pm »
I use full length Backstrap Sinews for wrapping my Bow Tips.....and just moisten...dip into glue....squeeze off excess...and wrap each 3-4 strand Bundle around until gone....rinse fingers and grab another bundle out of the Glue....and keep it up till you are done....I hate little pieces for Tips....I save them for Backings along with all Leg Tendons....then I use alternating sized Bundles...and apply them the same way by softening ....dipping in Glue....squeezing out all excess  back into the Pot....and lay them down from the Center up and outward on each Limb
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 09:33:50 pm »
David
Yeah I made a bit of a mess, luckily I was in my fathers shop.  On the downside, I now own a pyrex bowl and a couple of tuperware bowls that used to be my wifes.  ;D  Oh well,  I'm sure I will need them again.
Traverse City, MI

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 12:35:29 am »
Thanks for the tips.  I am a newbie myself getting ready to tackle a sinew job.  But I was going to use all backstrap sinew I have.  I have some leg sinew.  I might have to rethink this.
Westminster, MD

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 06:14:11 am »
Bigcountry
Take it from me.  Don't rethink it, just get to it.  I used backstrap for this job as well.  I plan on cutting them to shorter bundles for the last two layers.  I like the backstrap because it is so easy to process.
Traverse City, MI