Author Topic: seasoning freshly cut bamboo  (Read 2324 times)

Offline Susquehannock

seasoning freshly cut bamboo
« on: January 03, 2009, 09:26:48 pm »
I know it has probably been discussed before and I found a little info in the archives  . . .

How do you guys/gals season freshly cut bamboo? I have cut about 8 poles and kept them 70+" in length. Is it best to keep the poles round or split them to dry? Right now I have them in a barn out of the elements and at outside air temperature which is around 30 degrees. I plan to eventually move them into my garage which is a bit warmer (50 degrees this time of year). I'm in no hurry to quick dry them, but wanted to make sure they won't split or warp.

Thanks for the info. Jason

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: seasoning freshly cut bamboo
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 10:18:03 pm »
I have heard different methods. One is to leave them in the round. Another to split them in half and the 3rd is to leave them in he round but punch the webbing out at each node to allow air flow...but I don't know from experience.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Far East Archer

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 10:33:17 pm »
As Pat said.

Though, I only can get to dry right if they
not too young.
They have to be around 2-3 years old to dry correctly.
(If younger, they will shrivel up like prune....)

When drying, it good to keep them inside or away from element maybe 2 weeks.
After that, they should loose most of their moisture and from there, bath them in the sun from time to time.
This further dries them and bleaches the skin so it may become more yellow.
I also think it hardens it more. I once did not sun bleach a bamboo and it felt rather weak than bleach one.

Offline Susquehannock

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 01:44:12 pm »
Thanks guys. Anyone else have experience seasoning bamboo?