Author Topic: Hickory Splinter+  (Read 6754 times)

roofus

Hickory Splinter+
« on: January 05, 2009, 12:49:28 pm »
I am in the process of building my first Hickory board bow. I have it to 24" and the Tiller looks pretty good, 4" and I'm good to go!
At this point I hear a small pop. I inspect the limbs and there has a splinter lifted, maybe more than a splinter. Does this look like something I can save or is it firewood.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hickory Splinter+
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 01:43:45 pm »
If it is the mark 1/3 of the way in from the right, looks like a growth ring splitting.   Saturate the crack with super glue and add a temporary wrap until you finish tillering. After you finish tillering you can replace the wrap with a prettier one and add one on the other limb for balance.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

roofus

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 03:13:47 pm »
Here is a link to a Photobucket with multiple angles. I don't think we are looking at the same thing. Thanks for your help, you guys are priceless!!!!

http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll124/roofus5/Hickory%20Splinter/
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 03:52:24 pm by roofus »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 04:11:43 pm »
Is that a cloth backing?     That's the place I was talking about. If it is backed, you may have to remove the backing to fix it.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

roofus

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 04:35:45 pm »
Yup thats cloth. Cotton, petty heavy, like you would find on some fast food restaurant uniform pants. Thrift store $2.

I've been reading old fix-a-crack threads and found alot of info. I will take off the backing and try to wrap it. I think I will scrape on it a little more first.
Will the wrap change the tiller? maybe cause a hinge?

CutNShoot

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 04:57:18 pm »
Been there and done the super glue trick.Boom !!!! LOL! It's just my o2 but I think 2 hr 2 part epoxy from the hardware store mixed up and then thinned with acetone would work better.Open the crack and let it run down in there/saturate and then cover it with a layer of brown paper bag about 4 inches long and  clamp it with a spring clamps not a screw clamp and let it dry for 24 hours at pretty high temp under a light bulb at say 130 deg. After 24 hours I would sand lightly and add another layer of brown paper bag about 6 inches long to feather it out.After 24 then put the cloth back over it. If it holds up to complete tiller then I would rap the limbs with linen or jut or what ever for about 6 inches in that spot for more safety and on the other limb for looks. .I just aint impressed with super glue for that. I think watered down tight bond is better too. Good luck with how ever you do it. ;D

roofus

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 07:06:59 pm »
Sounds pretty strong. Will the wrapping cause hinging or anything like that?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 08:10:57 pm »
I'm confused. Is it on the belly? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

roofus

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 08:13:41 pm »
It is on the back. The greenish cloth in the pic is the backing.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 08:20:10 pm »
how deep is it ?

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

roofus

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 08:22:58 pm »
The line ends about halfway down the thickness of the limb. I have not tried to lift it to see if the whole splinter is that deep.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 08:25:15 pm »
I still am confused. If the bow is backed and I see the crack then how can the crack be on the back? You could try a wrapping of silk fabric. Use epoxy. Then do a wrapping of thread, B 50, or artificial sinew. Wrap the corresponding portion of the other limb to make it look like a decoration. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 08:28:27 pm »
george,
in the last photo he posted you can see 2 fabrics,the foremost one is the back of the bow.you can see the crack on the side and follow it under the fabric
it is leaving a whitish line where it lifter under the fabric.looks like it could be deep too
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Minuteman

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 08:30:52 pm »
If you wrap it with something you are gonna make the limb stronger there. It might be a little stiff  where you reinforced it but it shouldn't hinge. Might get hingey on either side of it.... I usually break those bows and start on a new one. :'(

roofus

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 09:15:45 pm »
I'm gonna just scrape it down to 40# and wrap it and give it to my son. He'll be able to use it with out blowing it up.
Thanks for all you help guys. Hope I can help people someday too.

Rob