Author Topic: Hickory board  (Read 2140 times)

troutbum76

Hickory board
« on: January 08, 2009, 06:38:38 pm »
W ell all my searching and calling payed of, finally found some hickory lumber. Th piece I bought is 10ft by 6in by 1in. Figure I should be able to make a few bows out of that. Six feet of the board is very straight grained and i thought that I would cut it down into 3 2in wide pieces. The other 4 feet section is mostly straight grained with one section where the grain kind of swirls. was wanting to cut it into 2 3in boards and attempt a bow with the followind dimensions 52 in ntn (the board is actually a little longer than 10ft) 3in at the fades with the taper begining 6ins from the fades and tapering to 3/4in at at tip. Does this sound workable? Should i be worried about the swirl, If I am not attemptin to make draw weight higher than say 45Lbs. would be willing to back it but would kind of like not to. All imput is appreciated. This will be my third bow having made a red oak and a maple board bow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hickory board
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 06:54:40 pm »
If you get three 2" pieces from the short piece pick the best 2 and splice then at the handle with the end with the swirls as the handle. You could 66" bow this way.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sulphur

Re: Hickory board
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 08:04:30 pm »
trout i have never made a hickory bow wider that 1.75".  Two" wide seems too wide.  also i have found its better for me to cut the wood as i get to the project i need it for, i seem to change my mind sometimes.  I agree with pat, with the shorted section take the best two pieces and splice them together.  Or you could make yourself some darn tough arrows (heavy, but tough)