Author Topic: coloring fletching?  (Read 6227 times)

Offline Postman

coloring fletching?
« on: January 15, 2009, 04:29:53 pm »
A freind made me some nice arrows with all white commercial parabolics - how would y'all color the cock feather? I was thinking of making 1 or 2 stripes with a sharpie.....
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline wolfsire

Re: coloring fletching?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 04:36:05 pm »
I tried the sharpie.  It works, but I did not like the way it looked.  I color my whites by soaking them in a kool-aid solution, concentrated, hold the sugar, with a little vinegar for binding.  Red, Orange, Yellow, Blue, Purple.  Have not seen Green, but There might be.  Y+B=G?  Mixing all might get brown.  Will fade if left to weather.

Steve in LV, NV

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 04:39:14 pm »
I don't distinguish the cock feather. All my feathers are the same.  Sometimes I use a commercial "indicator" nock and with self nocks I make an indicator with a drop of glue.
   You can use a sharpie or magic marker to add stripes to the cock feather.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Patterdale

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 04:46:53 pm »
Have you ever tried hair color?

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 10:53:30 pm »
It won't help you with feathers that are already on a shaft, but you can put 1/2 package of Rit dye in 1qt. of steaming hot water, add 1/4 cup of white vinegar and stir until mixed well, then add feathers to be colored to mixture and let soak for 3 hours.  After that take them out and lay them out on newspaper to air dry.  Works quite well!  Good luck! :)
south central VA

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 11:36:45 pm »
I use a dark walnut wood stain(minwax) and a small paint brush. You can paint them to look like eagle feathers or give the illusion of having spliced feathers quite easily... dries quick and won't stiffen the feathers, also waterproofs the feathers... Just my two cents worth brother But worth a try.... Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 11:41:29 pm »
...or you could leave them as they are. ;D   I would have no problem shooting white feathers...especially if someone gave me the arrows.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 11:54:16 pm »
...or you could leave them as they are. ;D   I would have no problem shooting white feathers...especially if someone gave me the arrows.  ;)

cant argue with logic like that ;D ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Postman

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 08:29:21 pm »
good ideas, guys- never woulda guessed kool-aid! ;D Those are some nice arrows, wolfsire,  what are the shafts?
Thanks,
John
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 01:18:32 am »
good ideas, guys- never woulda guessed kool-aid! ;D Those are some nice arrows, wolfsire,  what are the shafts?
Thanks,
John

Thanks, John, they are actually arrows on steroids - atlatl darts :D  About six feet long.  I just happened to have pics with the colored fletching.  The points are creosote, because it has a specific gravity over 1, and shafts are each a pair of scarfed arrowweeds.  The arrowweeds have checks splits all up and down the shafts, but it has not made a difference.  There is no reason they cannot be duplicated smaller.   ;)
Steve in LV, NV