Author Topic: Tanning question  (Read 7953 times)

Caveman

Tanning question
« on: January 16, 2009, 02:01:38 am »
how do make fur hides, how do i make buckskin hides and what are the steps to do both?

Minuteman

Re: Tanning question
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 09:45:37 am »
You need to do some reading , amigo. :)

http://64.62.177.152/Bark%20Tanning/?14@844.hyBOaroakly.0@

http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/forums/5

The first one has a window you can drop down. It has a list of other selections , alum tawing being one you might be interested in for furs.
 A good book that covers alot of info is " The Complete Book of Tanning Skins and Furs" By James Churchill
Have fun, its a lot of work.

Caveman

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 01:17:39 am »
not alot of info on those sight mman. mainly just alot more questions. I have heard of veggie tanning too. any ideas?

Minuteman

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 09:31:47 am »
Not alot of info? ??? Did you read anything or just browse the posts?
 I have 4 deer hides in a bark tanning solution in my basement right now. put 'em in on the 5th of December.
 Don't tell me there isn't alot of info on those sights. You just gotta wanna find it.

heres another:

http://www.braintan.com/articles/index.htm

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 01:08:24 pm »
There is no instant gratification in hide tanning. It's hard work, lots of it. But the end results are worth it if you stick it out. The process of braintanning is way too involved to get into in a post. I think there's a couple tan-alongs on here somewhere. If you want to learn to make buckskin, the first thing I would suggest is to order a copy of Matt Richard's book Deerkins into Buckskins, read it all the way through about ten times, then get some hides and start playing.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Minuteman

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 02:41:06 pm »
I agree with the tater tot king.  ;)I learned I didn't want to brain tan hides from that book. My job is hard enough on my hands and couldn't see hurting myself that much more. Thats why I bark tan.Skin, flesh, buck, soak in bark juice for two months, break and yer done. Still work but not as much.

Caveman

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 05:56:49 pm »
mman, that last site you gave me was tons better. it actually went in depth. thanks

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 10:13:09 am »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,5972.0.html

here is a tan along a did a while back.  its a very easy process but still lots of elbow grease. - Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 10:33:45 am »
There is no instant gratification in hide tanning. It's hard work, lots of it. But the end results are worth it if you stick it out. The process of braintanning is way too involved to get into in a post. I think there's a couple tan-alongs on here somewhere. If you want to learn to make buckskin, the first thing I would suggest is to order a copy of Matt Richard's book Deerkins into Buckskins, read it all the way through about ten times, then get some hides and start playing.

RIGHT ON HILLBILLY!

I just did a mink pelt with Alum tanning......Even that was chore enough!! Breaking that hide takes time. I almost tore it in half too!
I dread breaking the buckskin I got waiting for me. ::)

Minuteman

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 08:48:33 am »
I've got 4 bark tanned deer skins almost done. I don't relish the work involved in breaking those either. :'(
 Just finished acid tanning a cat skin last week , turned out great.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 09:22:43 am »
I've got 4 bark tanned deer skins almost done. I don't relish the work involved in breaking those either. :'(
 Just finished acid tanning a cat skin last week , turned out great.

So Fluffy finally becomes useful huh? ;D 

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 01:24:42 pm »
Although this question gets asked many times, I'm glad it does.

I thought I was going to be able to process and tan my own hides in a reasonable amount of time, but I think I'm going to buy all my skins (and rawhide) from now on.  I just can't see the benefit of tanning my own if I need more than 2 hides a year.  Doing one or two skins is enjoyable, but I found that more than that will wear me out.

Home tanning hides is for the hard-core primitive enthusiast.  If you are one...then dive right in....you'll love it. ;D

In my opinion, and to answer your question, you make furs and buckskins the same way, and here are the steps to both:

Buy or trade from a reputable source. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr