Author Topic: Characteristics of your prefered bow?  (Read 8302 times)

Offline Kegan

Characteristics of your prefered bow?
« on: January 18, 2009, 04:40:02 pm »
I'm slowly narrowing in on the style of bow and handle that suits me best. I just wondered, thinking it would be a fun thread, beyond quietness and durbaility, what qualitites do you look for when you build a bow? It seems that stability, ease in arrow tuning, and fast cast are what I'm looking for most when I build my bows, with good looks usually heavily on my mind as well.

How about you? What do you "build into" your bows?

whitewoodshunter

Re: Characteristics of your prefered bow?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 05:10:40 pm »
Lately I've been getting into putting reflex/deflex into my bows.I really like the speed and cast I get when I do this. I also like a longer bow 65-68 inches long. They seem to perform better for me, and be easier to tune and get to shoot quiet.I also like a bow that is physically light weight and about 50-55 lb draw a 26.   But thats just me.

Offline NTProf

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 07:33:06 pm »
I haven't been building bows for long but, I prefer longer bows - 68-70"- D-styled, and I like the handle narrowed to about 1 1/4." This seems to shoot best for me.

salad days

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 08:56:56 pm »
I love a bow that feels lite in your hand and looks good. I also haven't been building for long but I seem to be building shorter and shorter every time. Quiet is also on the list.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 09:21:59 pm »
1.Free/Cheap ;D
2.Light in the hand(like vine maple)
3.Wood that can handle being made into a short bow(less than 60'')
Traverse City, MI

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 11:14:48 pm »
After tryin several different styles I still gotta go with my short, bend in the handle bow. The downside to this is my arrows gotta be matched well. Second choice would be a bulbous handle with a little reflex in the tips and about 60" long....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 08:05:44 am »
I like them about 60/62 Flat bow 4 1/2 in. handle,speed is OK but the main thing is smooth,no stacking.In the low 50's. Somewhat center shot also helps. I like them with hooks or bends in the
handle to help with this,without having to cut into the handle. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 08:28:02 am »
good looking and nice to my hand when i shoot it are the most important to me.  i ussually shoot heavy telephone poles so as long as it is halfway fast i have plenty when it gets there.  would like to shorten em up a bit, since 68" is my shortest so far.  can't complain though, they shoot good.
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 10:07:32 am »
I would be happy to build one that stayed together ;) but for a hunting bow i like them shorter 58 or 60 inches with a strong pull 60 plus ... the important thing for me is little hand shock smooth shooting...Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 11:48:00 am »
Well it seems that my favorite type of bow to hunt with is about 64" ntn and pulls about 50 # @ 27" with a narrow rounded semi-locator type grip and arrow shelf. It needs to shoot 550 grain arrows flat out to about 20 yards and have absolutley no handshock. When it comes to target shooting I like to fool around with about any and every design and wood out there.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline David Long

• Only dead fish swim with the stream.
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 12:07:38 pm »
As I build each bow, they are getting shorter, lighter, and all around smaller while retaining draw weight. I really love these little things. They are looking like toys and more like the NA bows I have read about and examined. I held a couple Nez Perce bows a few months ago: one is a replica made by Yellow Wolf (for McWorter) of the weapon he lost in battle at Whitebird. Amazing little thing. I love the freedom of roaming in search of game with a very light bow. Just feels good to be in the hills carrying one. Dave
NW Montana

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 02:02:34 pm »
Light in hand and well balanced for me. I like a self bow, 60" to 64" long, symmetrically laid out flatbow, 55#@26", bulbous handle and a floppy rest. Most of my arrows are hardwood shoots or cane around 600gr with stone or trade points...although I also use Grizzly or Wensel Woodsman broadheads.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 02:29:17 pm »
I don't actually have a perfect bow but I'm working on it. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 02:50:29 pm »
                                                         One that Bends....and don't Break!!!!

;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 06:45:34 pm »
one that bends without breaking,and kills every animal i loose an arrow towards ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd