Author Topic: rabbits 2--me 0  (Read 3479 times)

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
rabbits 2--me 0
« on: January 31, 2009, 10:04:10 pm »
Took the recurve out today and kicked some brush.Had a clean miss on the first one(them buggers can be quick)I was trying to sneak through a briar patch(Penna. has CRUNCHY frozen snow now)and saw one nestled in some heavy briars.I had a small spot where I could see his head so I let one fly but all I got was a small tuft of hair.I saw 3 others but they were way out in front of me going.Beautiful day-sunny and 25.Sure beats the the boob tube.Lloyd

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
Re: rabbits 2--me 0
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 11:50:33 pm »
keep practicing on those long ears brother, we have some super fast cottontails waiting here for you and Ryan this year ;D ;D keep to the shadows along the timber line..... Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 12:56:02 am »
Lloyd, When you get one to break cover, hold your ground. I've heard they will circle and return to where they were spooked from.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 06:45:10 am »
Sounds like a fun time anyway,

In my experience cottontails just head straight for their den but snowshoes will often run in a circle.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 08:34:10 am »
Were headed to the cabin Thursday so I,ll be after them bunnies again.There is an overgrown orchard behind the cabin that holds some bunnies.It,s really thick but having the snow helps cause sometimes they will sit tight.I told my buddy I,ll be taking the recurve and he just chuckled.Hawk, we,ll have to figure what month works and see if we can set something up.Good times-Lloyd

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 08:48:22 am »
I used to hunt the cottontails with beagles...sometimes they'll go into a hole, but usually they will circle.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 10:38:20 am »
They will circle most of the time if they are pushed by a dog or person..

Offline cracker

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 04:50:45 pm »
Rabbit hunting is a lot of fun especially if you have a tall gangly son to chase them for you. By the way it was a bet that he could chase down a bunny. He didn't catch one but he did get a finger on one which surprised the heck out of me. I didn't even make him pay off the entertrainment was pay enough.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?