Author Topic: two kills strikes again....  (Read 8308 times)

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
Re: two kills strikes again....
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 10:28:52 am »
 man.. thats awesome. beautiful country, the weather looks great for january too. beautiful bows from what i can see too. out of curiousity, what kind of heads are you using?
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 11:17:52 am »
Watcher and I have designed our own  broadheads made from bandsaw blades...we use... also use 44 magnum shell casings .. wrap the shaft with sinew to make it large enough to take the casing, apply ferrile tite and you have a durable rabbit blunt.. the artificial sinew cushions the point and prevents the shaft from breaking in heavy brush.... the boys use pennies for points.. just ferrile tite them into a slot at the end of the shaft... work great and you can sharpen them too. they are deadly on squirrels because they rarely stick in the tree ;D pine pitch or hide glue work even better than ferrile tite.. i use it mainly because it is handy in the wilderness to use. Hawk a,ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 05:07:46 pm »
 awesome, thanks for the info. wish i'd have known about the .44 magnum tips, i was just at  range the other dey with a floor so full of shells, you couldnt walk without stepping on a few. I've heard a few different explanations for pine pitch- its manily the sap melted down then let to cool, or is that nowhere near what it is? again, great rabbits, wish i had a place like that in illinois. -jimmy

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 06:27:34 pm »
nice kill guys....good hunting.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline david w.

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 10:18:33 pm »
we don't use the skins .. unfortunately they are to thin to effectively brain tan... and my wife is a licensed falconer so the parts we don't eat go to her redtail hawk ... Hawk a/ho

i'd like to get into falconry.  is there an age limit to having a license?  Also is it expensive?
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline david w.

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 10:28:45 pm »
I looked it up.  Its not possible and there is no way my parents would let me have a falcon. :D

i want a Kestrel

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 10:51:41 pm »
A kestrel is a falcon ;D i believe that you need to be 14 to apprentice under a master falconer.. no the sport is not real expensive, but very time consuming... it is great to be there while the raptors hunt down their prey... talk about a primitive method of hunting... Hawk a/ho

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline david w.

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2009, 12:06:48 am »
I really like falcon and kites.  I wouldn't really wnat a hawk its not that I dont like them I just like the others better :)

I wouldnt know where to find another falconer around here.  Someday I will do it.  I think it would be alot of fun

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2009, 10:11:39 pm »
 man, i got pictures of this somewhere- this year at the ren. fair, there was a falconeer there- got paid ALOT at the airports to use the falcons to keep the geese at bay at a private airport in wisconson.By keep at bay, i mean swing the training bird around, and have the hawk play and train with it- im no falconeer, but thats what he explained. He had a redtail, another bird of prey (assuming a falcon, don't know for a fact) bu the coolest to me was the great horned owl he had. The eyes on this thing were about golfball sized, and a flourescent yellow- just amazing. i've seen em in the woods, but being that close was something else.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2009, 11:10:11 pm »
That looks like a good time to me.Beautiful country,lot's of game ,family and friends.Can't beat it.Thanks for sharing. I have a cousin and his family live near Cody.He's a surgeon,and owns the double doc ranch.Dr. F Schmidt.Do you know him by chance? God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2009, 11:49:58 pm »
I don't know him but know the ranch.. we are only fourty miles from Cody... Hawk a/ho

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2009, 03:37:16 pm »
I know him!!  He replaced both my knees a year ago in December and I have a horse that was bred on his ranch!  Watcher
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2009, 03:54:04 pm »
talk about a small world.. Hawk /ho

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2009, 06:24:18 pm »
I dont know him...but I do have a horse AND two knees.....

Offline PeteC

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2009, 10:19:00 pm »
Now that is neat!!Your horse did'nt happen to be out of a red dun quarter mare did it.I started her,and put 4 months on the mare,while she was still herein Texas.She took a very good handle,and it's been several years,so if he still has her ,she's probably in the breeding program.God Bless
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 01:49:07 pm by PeteC »
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas