Author Topic: Agincourt  (Read 19321 times)

Rhinegold

Re: Agincourt
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 06:49:30 pm »
In the late Middle Ages hemp strings were replacing the linen ones.  I recently made up a hemp string lile those I described in my post on the subject. It is of three bundles if five ten pound hemp strings, served with green silk at loop and middle and fits a nock on one of the Mary Rose arrows. I gave it to the MR museum and they said they would include it in the diaplays. That would be nice..
Wow...what did you use as a binder?

Hide glue...Wax???

How much does hemp stretch under all that tension?

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 09:12:05 pm »
In the late Middle Ages hemp strings were replacing the linen ones.  I recently made up a hemp string lile those I described in my post on the subject. It is of three bundles if five ten pound hemp strings, served with green silk at loop and middle and fits a nock on one of the Mary Rose arrows. I gave it to the MR museum and they said they would include it in the diaplays. That would be nice..

Hide glue...Wax???

I waxed the threads and the final string. I didn't measure the stretch which I only have a problem with in silk strings. What tension do you mean ?

Rhinegold

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 11:52:41 pm »
I waxed the threads and the final string. I didn't measure the stretch which I only have a problem with in silk strings. What tension do you mean ?
Just the braced tension.

Another curious blurb in the book is the mention of using human bones in the forging of bodkin points....to make them harder???

Sounds like something the author just made up for shock value.

Yewboy

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2009, 05:17:09 am »

Hide glue...Wax???

I have tried many times to creat a hemp string strong enough to take a bow of 120lb+ but without success, I know these were used and I am sure it is down to the quality of hemp, I would be fascinated to see one of your hemp strings, would you be able to make one for me that will stand a bow of this weight and send it to me. obviously I would pay for it and the postage.
many thanbks.

Yewboy

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 05:20:12 am »
Just the braced tension.

Another curious blurb in the book is the mention of using human bones in the forging of bodkin points....to make them harder???

Sounds like something the author just made up for shock value.
Bones were most definately used in the forging of arrow heads, you can use them to transfer the carbon to the arrow heads by heating them in a box with the arrow head.

Rhinegold

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2009, 09:10:22 am »
Bones were most definately used in the forging of arrow heads, you can use them to transfer the carbon to the arrow heads by heating them in a box with the arrow head.
Do you mean bones were used instead of coal to decrease the carbon content from above 3% to below 1%?

I imagine using bones would add a small amount of magnesium to the alloy as well.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 09:13:44 am by Rhinegold »

Offline Davepim

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009, 12:47:07 pm »
Do you mean bones were used instead of coal to decrease the carbon content from above 3% to below 1%?

I imagine using bones would add a small amount of magnesium to the alloy as well.

No, he means to "carburize" the iron, then to heat and quench the heads so as to case-harden them.

Dave

Rhinegold

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2009, 10:03:59 am »
Apparently bones were used also in Asia in the forging process...in this case for swords!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/09/090908-taiwan-sword-video-ap.html

Offline Davepim

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2009, 10:58:33 am »
Interesting link that! Seems as if phosphorus might enter the iron as well.

Dave

radius

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2009, 09:16:34 pm »
green destiny!  cool!

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2009, 10:51:46 am »

I have tried many times to creat a hemp string strong enough to take a bow of 120lb+ but without success, I know these were used and I am sure it is down to the quality of hemp, I would be fascinated to see one of your hemp strings, would you be able to make one for me that will stand a bow of this weight and send it to me. obviously I would pay for it and the postage.
many thanbks.

I would be happy to make one up for you. As you know, the hemp previously used is no longer available. I have some ten pound hemp string, unfortunately only available bleached. These strings take as much as 18 pounds of pull to break. Three strands of five strings each makes a string to fit the nock of a Mary Rose arrow. I can’t guarantee that it would stand up in a 120 pound bow as I don’t have one of that draw weight to test them, but if it doesn’t, no charge. Finished string would be served at loop and nocking point with green silk. I would need measurement of bow length between nocks and around  widest part of nock.

Yewboy

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2009, 07:56:34 am »

many thanbks.

I would be happy to make one up for you. As you know, the hemp previously used is no longer available. I have some ten pound hemp string, unfortunately only available bleached. These strings take as much as 18 pounds of pull to break. Three strands of five strings each makes a string to fit the nock of a Mary Rose arrow. I can’t guarantee that it would stand up in a 120 pound bow as I don’t have one of that draw weight to test them, but if it doesn’t, no charge. Finished string would be served at loop and nocking point with green silk. I would need measurement of bow length between nocks and around  widest part of nock.
many thanks Bow-Toxo, the bow is 79" between the nocks and the widest part of the nock is 20mm.
Thanks again

Offline snedeker

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2009, 10:27:09 am »
One really surprising error in the Archers Tale series ( I forget which book) was that when he needed a new bow he just hacked of a yew piece green and tillered it there on the spot. 

Dave

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2009, 12:53:33 pm »
Yeah, I kinda raised my eyebrow at that one too... ???
Good stories though.

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2010, 02:11:34 pm »
Just finished Agincourt, and was really impressed with the image the author produced of the battle.  I agree with Cornwell that the archers were more than likely on the flanks, with the Men-at-Arms in the center.  Having archers intermixed with the infantry would have created a weak line and probably would've broken, although it's still hard to imagine having nothing but archers protecting your flanks in a battle.

Some of you have talked about reading his other Saxon books.  I highly highly suggest you read Jack Whyte if you're interested in Roman Britian.  The first and second books are the abolute best I've read, and they are called "The Skystone" and "The Singing Sword."