Author Topic: show us your medieval arrows  (Read 46841 times)

triton

Re: show us your medieval arrows
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2009, 05:51:34 pm »
if that explanaition is as clear as mud, I'll sort a picture but don't hold your breath  ;)

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2009, 06:31:18 pm »
Nope, It makes perefect sence. I have been wraking my brain to think of a jig and there it is.

Thanks again!

Steve

youngbowyer

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2009, 07:46:27 pm »
Yewarcher pleaso post more pictures as you cotinue with that set of arrows. What color feather are you gonna give e'm grey and white?

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2009, 07:51:34 pm »
Will do. I am fletching them right now with white. I will get to the whippings hopefully in the next few days.

Steve

Offline Barrage

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2009, 08:42:40 pm »
ohhh man! ya learn something new everyday!

"I have 2 long blocks with strips of sanding belt fixed to them.  the blocks are then fixed to a board, 1/2" apart at one end, 3/8" at the other.  then hold an over length arrow shaft in a pistol drill and run the shaft at slow speed between the blocks, from wide end end to narrow.  I can adjust the taper between the blocks to suit what I need and how long the taper needs to be."

Thats a great method. Thank you for sharing!

Steve

Agree 100%, that was a light bulb moment.  Thanks Triton!
Travis

triton

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2009, 05:42:44 am »
No problem fellas.  My MK1 was a bit ropey, then I saw another using nice coach bolts and proper slotted holes at the adjustable end.

I have another method that the bowyer I'm working under uses.  2 pieces of wood about 2" wide, 3-4" long with a V cut up the middle of each and strips of sanding belt fixed long their length to cover and pushed into the 'V'.  the pieces of wood are then joined with a couple of hinges so when you look at them end on, there's a square hole.  shafts can be spun with the jig lightly gripped on the shaft, then run back and forth working more where more wood has to be removed.

youngbowyer

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2009, 10:26:04 am »
I just got hold of a nice straight grained poplar board but sawing it out just takes too long. Is there any other way i can do this?

triton

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2009, 11:31:57 am »
Is there a woodwork or joinery shop near enough?  I can't get wet logs through my band saw, so I bung a few quid to a local joiners shop to put it through their resaw. 
Is it yellow Poplar (Tulip wood)? 

youngbowyer

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2009, 11:34:53 am »
I dont know what kind of poplar it is but i can tell you a few of its characteristics

It is very dense

It has some purple spots on it

and a good straight grain.

The only thing that is near me is the lowes and the home depot but i dont think they do it so i might just rent a bandsaw.

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2009, 08:49:27 am »
so sorry for the inconvinence.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 09:58:57 am by YewArcher »

youngbowyer

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2009, 09:05:07 am »
Nice arrows ;) next time you might want to use a ruler for the wippings so it is neater. But great arrows!!!

triton

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2009, 09:11:46 am »
Nice display.  one thing I've been meaning to make is a bow rack.

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2009, 09:15:43 am »
Thanks for the tip youngbowyer but I prefer them that way. When ruled out and consistant they look to well.....ruled out and consistant.  ;)

Steve

Offline Loki

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2009, 01:25:32 pm »
Excellent Arrows!nice Bows too  ;D

I've never used a ruler to space my whipping but i try to get them as neat as possible,it can be quite a chore  :-\.
Durham,England

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2009, 02:39:18 pm »
Yes, i do as well when selling them or for display. These are my shooting arrows. I dont know about you fellas but I break um and loose um. I never spend much time on my personall arrows as I know I wont have them long. With all of the bows I shoot and how much I shoot I make 100's of arrows every year.

Steve