Author Topic: New to site  (Read 5795 times)

Offline Bentstick81

New to site
« on: January 21, 2009, 11:07:30 pm »
  Just become a new member and wanted to say, Hi.  I've been on stickbow for quite a while and thought i would come over here, also.  Trying to hunt with my selfbows, and boardbows this next year and thought i would be in good hands here for helpful info. 
  One of my first questions would be everyones feelings towards back quivers for hunting. I ground hunt 99% of the time. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
Re: New to site
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 11:15:37 pm »
welcome aboard brother, I hunt with a back quiver some, but would suggest a plains style quiver for the serious hunter. much more quiet, hangs up far less on brush and easier to extract an arrow when the elk are near ;D ;) Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 06:44:12 am »
Glad youre on board,and ditto what hawk said.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Cromm

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 06:54:26 am »
Welcome to PA. ;D
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 11:07:05 am »
Welcome to PA. Bentstick.
  I have never liked a back quiver. Not comfortable to me. The plains style quivers are good but felt awkward to me. I tried a side stalker type and use it for 3D and target shooting. For hunting I prefer the GFA type quiver. They are very quiet, arrows and points are protected, can be positions out of the way and are just more convenient over other styles to me.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 11:04:56 pm »
Ditto to hawk and Pat, back quivers can be uncomfortable and in the way if carrying a back pack. a well made plainstsyle is the way to go for sure.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Bentstick81

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 09:00:20 am »
  Thanks to all, And your input.  I am going to search the Plains Style quivers along with a few i got from stickbow.  Anyone else that has any ideas would be great. Thanks again.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 05:51:35 pm »
Welcome! I personally am a huge fan of the back quiver. I use them for everything, as they're jsut what I've always used. I tink they're the fastest on the shot, and if made properly, don't have any problems for stalking (I don't hunt from trees). Howard Hill only used back quivers, and I can't blame him. Once you get used to them, they seem perfect.

But I'll make two notes. I refuse to use a back quiver unless it's enough of an oval to collapse onto my back, and won't hunt with it unless it has a piece of deer hide, with the fur thick, on the bottom to silence and protect the broadheads.

I make mine from deerskin, untanned, with the hair still on. The thinner skins seem to be hte best material for back quivers in my opinion. Below is the one I'm currently using, from a deer I shot last year druing rifle season.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 09:21:01 pm »
 The only back quivers I use have two straps so the quiver sits inthe center of my back.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 09:38:34 pm »
Welcome to PA! I prefer a bow quiver myself.  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 07:34:36 am »
Welcome to PA.I'm with Ryan,I use a bow quiver while hunting and a Back,plans style,or side quiver when roving or 3D. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline billy

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 01:58:45 am »
Personally, I hate back quivers.  They're great if you're walking around in open fields, but they catch on every damn piece of brush the moment you enter the woods.  The best type of quiver I've found is my bow hand.  I hold 3 or 4 arrows in my bow hand, points up.  That way I can walk through brush and just breeze on by without my feathers getting ripped up.  I've had numerous fletchings torn and damaged when branches caught the arrows that were sticking up out of a back quiver.  It only takes one or two times for that to happen and I start getting flat-out pissed.  Then I use my bow as a machete and swing it in a rage as I smash every twig within 8 feet into splinters.  The game know it too, and they laugh at me.  When I finally get to sitting down...well, I don't see anything.  Wonder why that is..????  I've never found a quiver that works to my satisfaction, but back quivers?  Well, you can send them straight to hell with my blessings and let them burn up in Satan's furnace.
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 07:10:49 pm »
Personally, I hate back quivers.  They're great if you're walking around in open fields, but they catch on every damn piece of brush the moment you enter the woods.  The best type of quiver I've found is my bow hand.  I hold 3 or 4 arrows in my bow hand, points up.  That way I can walk through brush and just breeze on by without my feathers getting ripped up.  I've had numerous fletchings torn and damaged when branches caught the arrows that were sticking up out of a back quiver.  It only takes one or two times for that to happen and I start getting flat-out pissed.  Then I use my bow as a machete and swing it in a rage as I smash every twig within 8 feet into splinters.  The game know it too, and they laugh at me.  When I finally get to sitting down...well, I don't see anything.  Wonder why that is..????  I've never found a quiver that works to my satisfaction, but back quivers?  Well, you can send them straight to hell with my blessings and let them burn up in Satan's furnace.

Nawww, jsut send them to me ;) ;D!

Offline Traxx

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 12:50:37 am »
Man Billy!!!!
Dont candy coat it none.Tell us how ya really feel!!LOL

Add me to the,Dont care much fer back quiver club.LOL

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 01:04:15 pm »
 Welcome to P.A. As you can see,hard to get these guys to commit an opinion. You found the place for primitive and helpful peoples.Enyoy !  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington