Author Topic: TB II vs TB III ???  (Read 9777 times)

Offline stiknstring

Re: TB II vs TB III ???
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 02:15:57 pm »
OMG...did you say GNARLY?  That is so ten yeas ago. 

My eighth graders told me that the proper terminology is that it has SICK STICKING CAPABILITIES.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 03:39:00 pm »

Gorilla glue is not a good for backing, but it may be okay for a handle. Personally, I wouldn’t use it.

The expanding gorilla glue isn't, but the Gorilla Wood glue is.  I have had great luck with it. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline JustAim

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 08:09:53 pm »
apparrently l dont know what l'm talking about. but l will keep doing what l've done in the past and keep making grooves for the glue to grab. because like l said before...l have never had a problem with it.  :P ;D

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 08:35:29 pm »
OMG...did you say GNARLY?  That is so ten yeas ago. 

My eighth graders told me that the proper terminology is that it has SICK STICKING CAPABILITIES.

All right! I'm getting OLD!!! Besides they change what they say every year. How is the older generations to keep up with it all?
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Shooter_G22

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 09:26:15 pm »
hey d.tiller...

its the older generations that came up with all the slang... these kids of today just copy what was once said by hearingthe older brothers or uncles talk about what they used to say with there friends and then they bring it back up...   im 35 yrs old and saying something that something is sick...  its like saying something is wick-ed...  meaning...   "bad"  but bad not meaning bad but bad meaning good...   "quote"  Run DMC..   

soo you see when i was younger we used the term "sick"  "bad"  "silly"  "throughed"  just depends whre you grew up and what niebohorhood you were from....

eirther way....   when your kool...   anything you say is kool...  8)

back to subj!!!
i think im going to pick up a bottle of TB 3   and jsut get it over with...    i dont mind the cost i was just curoiuse as to why it was more expensive and yet alot of the bowers here use the TB2 more often...   

i still have the Gorilla Wood Glue and i'm sure i will use that on other building projects and or maybe some thing that will take less stress...   i always have other wood working projects and i'm sur it will still get used up but i think for the purpose of this pecan i will use the TB-3  since i have not heard anybad comments on the TB3 and everybody says the have never found it to have a problem...  ;D

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 09:36:28 pm »
I'm 37!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline sailordad

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009, 12:09:57 am »
youngsters  ;D
ive got scars older than both of you kids

we used to say,  choice   cherry   awesome  bitchin far out  groovey dynomite   whats happening
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009, 12:19:27 am »
Ah yep! He's.... OLDER!!!!  >:D  ;D ;D ;D

Offline sailordad

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2009, 12:21:05 am »
ehhh   what did ya say,ya need to speak up im having a hard time hearing ya at my age :D ;)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2009, 07:34:18 am »
We said Groovy. ;) ;D ;D Tiller you are still a kid. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2009, 04:23:06 pm »
Thanks Pappy! You made my day!  ;D

Offline Carle1953

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2009, 05:09:50 pm »
I have been doing carpentry for many years and I found that TB11 works great for indoor projects but has a tendency to soften in humid conditions.  I have used TB111 on outdoor projects and not had any problems.  I have used TB111 for making reflex/deflex bows, gluing on backings, and gluing on handles.  Only one time have I had any problems with it and that was when it was cold, it just didn't set right.  Use only above the minimum temp specified on the bottle. I don't recommend using it on smooth woods. Smooth is a relevant term also. If the surface has been sanded make sure to get the saw dust off.  I have seen planed smooth surfaces glued together that gave under stress. I use a toothing plane and have used a hacksaw blade before,  I rough up the surface to about what 60 grit sand paper would leave it, just make sure you don't leave sawdust before you glue up.  On hedge I usually wipe it down with lacquer thinner or alcohol first. I always glue both pieces and make sure I get full coverage on both, a putty knife works great for this. When you clamp up use only enough pressure to get the glue to ooze out all along the edge.  Be careful not to squeeze all your glue out!  As others have stated before I would let it cure for 48 hours.  Also it is a lot easier to clean up squeeze out glue with a damp rag than it is to file it off after it has set up.  Best of luck!

Shooter_G22

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2009, 09:45:53 pm »
went and got my first bottle of TB III  today...!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  yah...!

went ahead and glued up a handle on the pecan board bow im going to attempt... will let her sit for a few days and then get to working on it...   in the meant time im going to be making a tiller stand and see about getting another baord out of the last rip form that pecan board...  will probably start a new thread on the bows in progress sooo i can have all the pros walk me through it...   

just soooo happy that i got the TB III   i feel soo much better knowing that alot of the pros on here is useing this glue sooo it gives me a good feeling that its some thing i can use that works and i'm not having to substitute for something that i can use instead of the pro stuff.....

i feel good about the glue up and hope it works out...   sooo easy to just walk in to lowes and pick a meduim size bottle and its under ten bucks and i know its works and i dont have to speacil order it and pay shipping and waite for it in the mail... just walked in and walked out took me under 10 minutes and under 10 bucks... 
just tickled to be alive mang.... :D :D :D :D  feels good... :D

Offline sailordad

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2009, 10:36:02 pm »
shooter not only do the pros on here use it

so do us rookies ;D

glad to hear your making a little more progress on that pecan board bow

Shooter_G22

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2009, 01:56:24 am »
Sailordad,

i wouldnt call it progress but i got the courage to go ahead and try agian...   see when i got the pecan board it was a ruff cut maybe some thing like 6-8" wide by 2" thick and 9-10' long...  in the ruff...   i took it to a wood mill shop and had them rip it for me...  i tried serveral differant cuts and sizes and had a bucnh just break up and crack... and i got real fustrated and then i glued up a couple of blanks with some f/g sheet from auto repair inbetween the board and backing to help hold it togather...   and  backing still splintered and then i sanded backing down and reglued another backing and did all kinds of wierd stuff just to get one finised and i finally did...   but i gave that one to my cousin... and he has it and loves it but will hardly ever shoot it... lol...

anyways since then i have treid several differant things like some osage staves that i have been triey to harvest and let dry for a couple of months and then try and work and have had those not turn out and soo i'm goin to go back to trying the pecan...    but this time im going to try and do a tiller stand and long string and try and do it right... all the other i was just steping on the string and pulling the baord up towards me while bending over to look at tille upside down....   lol...   kind of like a nucklehead...huh... :D :D :D

this time i'm going to try and see if i can do thngs right and take my time...    probably wont get to much time to work on things....    i have to build a couple of other projects promissed to some other people ;) ;)    and im probably going to be real busy at work since the boss just told me that he was going to be fire'ing a forman and i was going to have to run his job till its finished... :o...   but that will be done about a wk and wk-end..

so it'l be hectic for me for a while and not to mention i do a little personal security for a couple of celebraties and they are supposed to be flying me to L.A.  for the Grammy's   but i dont know if i'm still going to do that..yet... 

im supposed to be real busy on the personal security next month and i had already told my boss on my construction job... that i would be out for most of feb...   they are real cool and let me get time off to do celebraty security...  just because they think its cool...  8)  aahh the advantages of working for your uncle...   

sometime my life gets pretty hectic... and you could say i live a double lives and or even triple lives from jumping back and forth from construction worker to bodyguard to youth group coach...   man it sometimes gets to me...

but keeping busy really helps the head-achs and nightmares...   lol... 

anyways i really got off topic here...
sorry folks...   just got alot on my mind at times....