Author Topic: Abstract concept/meaning of "warbow"  (Read 8004 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: Abstract concept/meaning of "warbow"
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 12:59:03 am »
This got me thinking about 'military' weapons.  Made by the cheapest bidder, modular designed for mass production... even an illiterate peasant can shoot... simple, basic, and cheap, as long as it does the job.  Made me figure the longbow style 'warbow' is the AK of archery weapons and the Asian laminated style more the high tech M16 version.  Think conscript vs Samurai... JMHO...

LUK

I disagree! I think it's the archer that makes the bow.  You start at age 6 by making the child hold the bow out straight in his hand until he cant do it anymore and then some. When he can until you say no you move to a larger bow. Then at age 9 you start them shooting every day for an hour to two hours a day at target at varying distances, moving away and to, left to right, right to left and diagonally until they can hit the target of any shape. Then they hunt with the bow while increasing the weight over time. At age 18 if they can hit a running squirrel in the trees at 100 or more yards then they might just be ready to call an archer and enter the ranks.

The bow is just the launching platform. It's the trained archer that makes the kill!   ;)
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Ian B

Re: Abstract concept/meaning of "warbow"
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 01:23:27 pm »
Well for me WARBOW means any bow that was used for warfare, so long as the is proof that the type of bow was used.  An high poundage English longbow = English warbow or American WARBOW = Indian flatbow.

Regards Ian