Author Topic: is it ready for the long string?  (Read 2263 times)

troutbum76

is it ready for the long string?
« on: January 27, 2009, 01:16:01 am »
this the maple board bow that i was have trouble with tips bending unevenly. well i got the tips bending right and have begun to tiller with my tillering string. i think its ready to start on the low brace height string. the left limb could bend in the middle maybe just a tiny bit more. tell me what you think.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: is it ready for the long string?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 05:41:15 am »
Looks like the left could use a little more.I usually get both tips moving out to about 8/10 inches
and even ,then short brace it and go to the tiller tree. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 06:13:25 am »
i ussually go a touch more, then go to a zero brace, and then to a low brace, then high brace.  keeps my set lower, just leave your tips stiff in the beggining, so you don't end up whipended.
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline knap_123

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 08:09:10 am »
i'm building a tiller tree.  i have the bow on top  of a 2 by 4   and a 5" distance to my 1st notch.  but i dont understand low and high brace hight completly.     what shouald my measurments be on a tree?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 08:16:42 am »
I take tiller stick and all and put it against something flat ,like that wall. I use my bench and measure the tips out from the flat area. You can also see how the limb is bending.There are several way to do it ,but that is how I do it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 10:22:19 am »
Looks like it's ready assuming it's reduced sufficiently in weight to not strain the stave excessively at its first stringing. The stave should be no more than  10-15# over final target weight. I check the weight continually while on the long string. I never pull it back more than 5# over final target weight. When the limbs are bending well and when I get that reading at 10 inches of string travel I string it up and proceed. There are buildalongs and bow making directions on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!