Author Topic: Photographing your bow  (Read 5987 times)

Offline David Long

• Only dead fish swim with the stream.
Re: Photographing your bow
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 07:15:25 pm »
My wife and I are both professional photographers. She is the one who does a lot of studio work-everything from firearms, jewelry, meat (as in animal flesh), sculpture, etc. etc. In other words things like bows. You would be blown away by the care and attention to detail that goes into this type of photography. MANY shots of a single item are taken over hours of adjusting lights, etc. So don't feel bad if your shots aren't perfect. You make great bows, and if your pictures are as nice as your bows, you're messing in the wrong hobby. Gordon and others' advice is good and solid. The only thing I would quibble with is Gordon's assertion that good photographs are easy to take. If that were true they would all be great. Get to know your camera's capabilities, then experiment like a mad person. It's not like you need to take the film in for developing. Fill the cards then refill them until you get what you want. You will learn quickly what appeals to you and what doesn't. One other thing-if you can take anything out of a picture (including shadows) and not lose important content, take it out. You will be pleased with the result and I think Gordon is correct, they are worth it. Dave
NW Montana

Offline sailordad

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 07:29:25 pm »
my youngest son is into photography big time,wants to do it for living after he gets out of the Navy.
the wife and i bought him a $900 camera a year ago and the pics that kid can take are unbelievable.
he knows exactly how to work the camera and about lighting and all that other photo stuff.
me i have a $150 point and shoot and if i can identify the subject i am happy ;D

when he gets done serving i am going to have him take all my bow pics for me.
he put his high buck photo edit program on my laptop and i dont have a clue how to use it lol.

i have figured out that the macro feature on my camera is great for close up shots and the anti shake feature is a good friend of mine too.

peace,
                                                                       tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline David Long

• Only dead fish swim with the stream.
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 08:07:48 pm »
Good for your son Tim! Put the guy to work while you make him bows  ;) Dave
NW Montana

Offline Gordon

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 10:02:01 pm »
The only thing I would quibble with is Gordon's assertion that good photographs are easy to take. If that were true they would all be great.

David, I've looked at some of your work and you and I are in competely different universes when it comes to photograhy. "Good" to me means a good enough photo for the folks on this site (and others like it) to appreciate the craftsmanship, skill and artistry that is manifested in something we create by hand. What you do goes way beyond that :P
Gordon