Author Topic: BigA's little Osage.  (Read 6540 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: BigA's little Osage.
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 10:15:31 am »
Great job BigA.  I must say it sure looks like you are drawing it a long way for a kids bow.  Looks like an adult small game bow to me.  ;) You definitely get an A+ for creativity on the backing. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Stoker

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 10:19:25 am »
Great looking bow  how did you do the backing?
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Barrage

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 11:11:37 am »
ok, it's already been said a bunch already, but great idea with those turkey feathers!  Now you have us all looking around the house at everything in a whole new light.  Great little bow.
Travis

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 03:29:26 pm »
Very cool Anthony.  ;D The feathers look way cool. Never would have thunk it.  :D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Big A

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 09:52:32 pm »
I started this bow to give away. It will go to the TTAS auction later this month. The bow is Osage cut in 04, it is 56.5" tip to tip sinew backed.I was tyring to have it fit a kid 8-12 years old that they could grow with  for a while. The weight is 39 lbs at 28 " . My intent was the kid could start at about a 20"draw with about 20lbs and move to 28" with a bow close to hunting weight. The limbs are 1.5" wide at fade with a taper to .5" at the last 12" to tips. I used dry heat to bend and line the limbs twice. The grip I copied from a bow Gary Davis gave to Pappy that I really liked. It is two parts with the top part acting like a rest and both parts going into the fades.I used really soft leather and it feels good to hold. I bent the tips, I think it makes the draw feel a little better.The tips are off a piece of 70 year old walnut that my  gave me. I cut the rest in with the handle offset off the center line to make it closer to center shot. This is to help the arrow selection easier. I tillered out to 28" and sinew it so it would last. I would hate to break some kids heart with it going down. It shoots my heavy arrows well. I know it will shoot the light arrows that come with it ( along with Quiver)well.
     The turkey feather idea came to me in a tree stand. I wanted something different to cover the sinew. I used the secondary wing feathers that I see most people throw away. I have even used them on arrows. I marked a center line on the back to guide the lay out of the feathers. Starting next to the tip I applied TB III wood glue with my finger. I cut the feather off the quill about an inch at a time and placed it on the limb lining it up on the center line as it it was the feather quill. Just take your time and work to the handle. At this point I was excited about the way it looked. I let dry overnight and then trimmed the edges. I had some parts that did not stay down I spent two days filling the voids with glue. Then sand lightly and apply finish. It turned out as good as I expected.

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 10:45:50 pm »
Gotta say you get the prize for creativity, I would have thought the feathers waterproof qualities would have affected good glue adhesion. Hey, has anyone put a turkey beard on a bow yet? kinda like people use horsehair on indian bows?