Author Topic: New bowyer setting up shop  (Read 11350 times)

Westbound

New bowyer setting up shop
« on: February 04, 2009, 12:24:11 pm »
I'll be setting myself up to get started on my first bow, and wanted to ask the experienced bowyers what tools they use.
I know I'll be picking up a couple of rasps first off, and I have a small "mouse" tomahawk that I can use for rough shaping.
I know I can build bows with just these two items, but want to know what tools other use to make life a little easier.

Thanks,
Justin

Also, the bug must have bitten me, because I'm going shopping for wood today on my lunch break  ;D

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: New bowyer setting up shop
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 12:31:20 pm »
Good to hear. There are buildalongs on my site which show the tools I use. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 12:31:41 pm »
Hard to beat a Nicholson #49 rasp, couple of scrapers, chain saw file for cutting nocks, draw knife, and a tillering tree.
Also would recommend The Bowyers Bibles Vol 1-4 and of course a subscription to Primitive Archer :)
Nice to have a bandsaw but not necessary.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline xin

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 12:33:46 pm »
My most used tools are the pocket knife and the draw knife.  I could get along without all other tools except these.   

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 12:43:55 pm »
Hatchet, rasp, knife, and a small rattail file for filing nocks - that's all you need.
Gordon

Offline JustAim

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 09:28:35 pm »
l also use a rasp, drawknife, scrapers, files and a hatchet. But lately l seem to be using my big ol' beltsander for doing most of the work. lt works pretty good for doing the fades and for tapering the limbs but be careful using power tools, you can ruin a bow before you know it. The first time l used my beltsander on a bow turned out to be a big mess. The limbs looked more like a washboard! Luckily it was just a cheap red oak board! But l got the hang of it now and when l get the limbs bending pretty good with the sander l switch to a scraper and a rasp to do the rest of the work. -Matt

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 06:10:39 am »
Like the others said.  A couple of scrapers, a rasp, drawknife, and a chainsaw file is all you really need.  If you are enjoying making bows and want to expand your tool selection  I would suggest the Torges scraper.  I absolutely love mine.  It is a bit expensive but worth the cost.
Traverse City, MI

Westbound

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 10:56:58 am »
Thanks for all of the input.

I picked up some tools and a couple of boards at Home Depot.
They didn't have a drawknife, but I picked up a small plane.  I can pull the blade out and it makes an excellent scraper.
I plan on building this bow entirely by hand, but I can see the merits of power tools for the " non-primitive" primitive archer.
Wood leaves the bow slowly by hand!

I found out last night how so very important a vise is to this process.   I wore myself out working and holding the bow at the same time!
Luckily my best friend is going to be jumping into these projects with me and he has a shop with tables and a vise  ;D
My wife doesn't care for the wood removal in the living room.  I tried explaining that is what the vacuum cleaner is for...  she's not buying it!  :o

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 12:02:33 pm »
Had to la ff at the wife-vaccum comment! Make your self a bench and mount a vise to it. That way you can pack it in or out as you retreat,I mean need. I also recommend a fairerrs rasp, I like it out of all others.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 01:33:30 pm »
I use Marc St louis ;D ;) sorry couldn't help myself..Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 02:21:39 pm »
My favorite go to tool is a flat spokeshave, I use it for most everything along with a 4 way file, and scrapers.
VB

Offline shamus

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 03:13:45 pm »
My thoughts on bowyer's tools: http://analogperiphery.blogspot.com/2007/06/bowyery-tools.html

I hope that helps.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 04:12:23 pm »
 I found a cloth tarp under my work in the living room,helps with the cleanup.I don't have to broach too much outcry about working in the living room,my wife and I compete for the space,she has her projects going too and space in this little place we live is at a premium.She is at it right now,cutting and sewing old used silk ties into apron's. I gotta get in there when she's done and get working on a bow.  Good luck and all these guys are the best at steering us beginners in the right way.  Welcome to the asylum !   Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 07:44:58 pm »
My favorite stave spitting tool is my froe .Much faster than wedges ,and when you get used to it ,you can control the split very accurately. (don't need no bandsaw :) )

Ralph

Offline shamus

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 02:08:49 pm »
I've always wanted to try a froe.

that and a hewing hatchet.