Author Topic: bow wood  (Read 7995 times)

Offline FlintWalker

Re: bow wood
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 08:59:02 pm »
I'm going wood hunting tomorrow.  I just hope to find one good log and can't imagine finding that much.
  I probably have 1,500 acres to look over but I doubt there's that many good ones on the whole place.  It's mostly river bottoms with scattered patches of trees here and there.
 Your right about the farmers hating it.  They tell me to cut it all if I want it. ;D  They say, "That *##@#**@ stuff ain't fit fer nothing".  I just smile and say " I'll help you out all I can"  ;D
  BTW, Very VERY nice haul.

Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

nickf

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 06:20:08 am »
my biggest harvests were like 20staves... you're going for 1000 at once!
those staves look just perfect, but It looks like you left lots of smaller pieces behind? anything above 1" can give a great bow... I think it's good trying to get as many staves as possible from a tree right? doesn't take away I'm really, really jealous of your pile man!
huge pickups and osage orange... that's how I see america!

it will take some time to rough them out, I bet you're going to do that in a few days aswell?
I'd go for 300 d-bows, 400 rigid-handle bows, 200 shorter bows, and lams for over 200 bbo's...
  now, get working! :p

greetings,

Nick

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 10:10:28 am »
 Yazoo.  Exactly how many hedgeapple trees do you figure you've cut in your lifetime? :o
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline yazoo

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2009, 02:55:12 pm »
to many to count,I will try to keep count how many I split this year,my dad is in florida now doing a show,he called last nite and had got rid of close to a 100 this weekend,some of the years when I traveled a lot I would go through close to 2000 a year, I will post a photo of a full load,this picture is a small load,
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2009, 07:52:31 pm »
Wow! :o

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2009, 10:01:58 pm »
Mike, what do you winch those baby's up on that flat bed? looks like a good set up!
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline yazoo

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2009, 11:24:29 pm »
we roll them up with skid poles, the hard way,
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

nickf

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2009, 12:18:34 pm »
you don't have a clue of how jealous I am!

;) goodluck, osage is beautyfull!

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2009, 04:23:59 pm »
Mrs. Terry, the owner of the farm where my Osage comes from told me to "You can cut ever one of them dad-burn Bodock'ers if ye want to.  They ant any good fer nut'en."

If only she knew.  And please dont tell her. :D

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama