Author Topic: Whitewood stave run  (Read 7047 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: Whitewood stave run
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 01:53:52 pm »
Shannon, I'd be taking the bark off of everything except the cedar if you're up to it. I doubt it will come off very easy this early. Any of it you plan to keep, I'd try and remove the bark now. The best time to cut white wood is when the sap is up. As you know, osage is fine anytime...probably better actually in the winter because of less moisture the stave will have to lose. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 01:24:06 am »
I took the bark of one each of HHB, Elm, hackberry and persimmon last night.  The bark came off without any trouble.  I had to scrape off a little cambium, but it wasn't any trouble.  I done those four staves in less than an hour.  Does this stuff require sealing on the back?  I hate sealing the back of a stave. >:(  It makes getting the kind of finish I like on a bow harder to obtain.
  Also, are there any secrets to cleaning up this HHB.  It seems that any scraping levels out those little fine ridges on the back of the stave. I'd like to save as much of that as possible?
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 08:18:41 am »
Glad that bark popped off okay for you...that was a surprise this time of year. As for the ridges in the hhb, I've always sanded mine down. Yes, I would seal the backs or they will probably check.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 10:38:55 am »
It didn't pop off Greg, I had to draw knife it off.  It still wasn't very hard to do though. ;)  Thanks for the help. :)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

DCM

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 11:57:07 am »
In terms of sealing, after the first day or so it becomes less important, if you got away with it.  They'll shed water real quickly sans the bark.  Keep them in a relatively wet place for a while, maybe throw a tarp over them.  You just want to slow down the drying on the newly exposed wood for a few days/weeks.  Definately don't want to leave one out in the sun and wind.  Leave stuff like elm fairly large so it won't curl up into noodly shapes as it cures.  If you do break it down, get down to near bow size and put it on a caul or something to help train it initially.

I'll swap you something for a perty stick 'o dat winged elm, if you've a notion and enough to share.  I just need a little piece, nothing like a whole big quarter or whatever.  Mostly I got osage for trade.  Maybe have a look see at Pappy's in May.  May be able to work a big quarter down and fetch off what part I'd need leaving enough for another bow.  Might depend on whether you or Pappy has a bandsaw to part one say 2-3" thick, cuz I ain't looking to split out a stave from elm!  1 1/2" x 72" wide would be plenty for me. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 12:03:09 pm by DCM »

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 07:30:35 pm »
David, I'm sure we can come up with something while we're at Pappys ;)