Author Topic: Sturgeon Skin Prep and Application  (Read 4468 times)

Offline David Long

• Only dead fish swim with the stream.
Sturgeon Skin Prep and Application
« on: February 17, 2009, 12:02:12 pm »
My brother lives along the Columbia and has some friends collecting sturgeon skins for him. We have no idea how to prepare/preserve them. Should we wash them in detergent then dry like snake skin or what? I assume they are best applied with hide glue like snake skins? Do you remove scales like you do with ss? Keenan, you're the guy we'd like to hear the finer points from man! Dave
NW Montana

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Sturgeon Skin Prep and Application
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 12:47:44 pm »
Well I ain't Keenan...but I have worked many Sturgeon Hides into beautiful Bow Backings.....wish I could get some more too!! I always scrape them really good...salt them if you want...I don't....I just stretch them out and tack them down after a good scraping and washing in Dawn Detergent.....I leave the Bony Scales on...because I prefer this look...others don't use nothing but the Belly Skin....I prefer the sides with the Armor showing ...and I dry them....sand the flesh side a bit before gluing....apply the Skins with Titrebond3 or Hide Glue....wrap gently to remove any bubbles and keep the Skin in place till it dries..either Glue works just fine ...the former is a lot safer in a moist climate....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 01:09:20 pm »
  Freeze or ice till ready to use.  DO NOT SALT.  That retains the moisture and they will rott

You can either flesh scrape them or pressure wash to remove any meat or fatty tissue. If you don't have a presure washer it's fairly easy to flesh them out.

First of all keep them on ice or just freeze them till you are ready to work them. This keeps the bacteria and smell down.
 When your ready to flesh them get a 2x6 or 2x8  and secure it about waist level. get a 5 gal bucket of warm water with about a 1/4 cup of bleach in the water.  Dip the end of the skin in the bleach water to make sure it's not to strong.(you can bleach out the color) You want it just strong enough to kill bacteria and help the fish smell.  Dip the whole skin in to remove some of the slime then place on the 2x8 flesh up. The rough skin will hold to the board while fleshing. You will notice a center line the entire length and some zig zag cartalege rings. To flesh it's best to use a slightly dull blade and work from the center out toward the sides, scraping in the direction of the cartalege lines. The dull blade will push the flesh off instead of cutting into the skin.I work one side from center out then turn it around and work the other side from center out.  When fleshed,dip it in the water again and let hang on the end of the board for a few minutes.
  When you get a few done just take a piece of plywood or board and staple them flesh side down. I use an air stapler but any stapler will work. Start at one end then strech slightly and staple the other lend ength wise.  Then go down one side and pull a slight bow in the center line,while stapling. then as you stretch and staple the other side the center line of the skin will be straight. Your staples should be as close to the edge as possible or the skin will curl over it when dry. And place the staples no more then an inch apart.
  Let dry for several days and then just cut inside the staples with a razor knife. It will peel out like a sheet of paper. Wipe both sides with acetone to help remove oils that have leached out. Then roll up and place in a zipp-lock till ready to use.  
     As far as the scales I generally remove the large center line scales. this helps when fleshing and I generally use the upper and lower parts on each side of the center scales. this will give you 4 skins per fish. Two darker upper sides and two white belly skins that will turn transparent when dry.  The bone flake will stay attached very well, no need to remove. If you use black leather dye to darken the wood befor aplying the skin. in will help bring out the contrast with the white bone flake.
  I have always used sinew glue to apply just because it tends to really suck the skin to the wood and is protien based as well.   I warm the glue and let the skins soak till pliable then apply and wrap with strips of the fiberglass drywall tape. This allows the skin to breath and dry faster. Just dont wrap to tight,or it will leave lines in the skin.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 01:35:37 pm by Keenan »

Offline David Long

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 01:33:44 pm »
You guys are great, thanks very much.  ;) If he gets many of these, I'll send you some El Destructo. He lives right on the river and has an APB out amongst his friends for skins that are otherwise going into the trash. Dave
NW Montana

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 05:37:31 pm »
You guys are great, thanks very much.  ;) If he gets many of these, I'll send you some El Destructo. He lives right on the river and has an APB out amongst his friends for skins that are otherwise going into the trash. Dave

David....you just let me know....I will pay Shipping....and throw in something you would like...be it Feathers....Rock...Wood....or Cane....a Handmade Knife.....I would appreciate the skins immensely!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 05:58:03 pm »
Why dont you get the air bladders of the fish too they are highly regarded by natural glue makers, They make the strongest natural gue there is.and for most people they are very hard to get!!!
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 06:13:14 pm »
I wouldn't mind some fillets, had em once and was good eats :) Of course I wouldn't mind a set of skins either
and I'm willing to trade ya for em, you need a mother-in-law >:D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 06:45:38 pm »
 Dana,,, your horns are showing  ::) >:D

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 07:58:38 am »
 ;) :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline David Long

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 10:14:40 am »
I'll see if I can acquire some of these things for you fellrs who want them. No guarantees. Dave
NW Montana