Author Topic: tools  (Read 2979 times)

Offline ryanfromcanada

tools
« on: March 09, 2009, 07:08:38 pm »
i was just wondering what y'all use for tools,what your standard kit is

Offline sailordad

Re: tools
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 07:16:32 pm »
tools for what?bow building,arrow making,rock knapping,knife making,or tools used for tanning and fleshing hides?

most folks on here do more than one hobby/craft.
i will list my bow making tools and such later,when i have more time
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 07:58:29 pm »
Here's the thing ryan this question has been asked a bazillion times do a search and you will find lots of info.
Now I'm not trying to be a smart aleck but really, spend a few minutes looking through some of the old threads and these questions have been answered many times.
When ya get down to it, all ya really need is a sharp rock anything after that is nice but not necessary.

And Yes folks I'm having a bad day >:(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline aruge

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 08:18:09 pm »
 Dana, you just made my day.   ;D

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 08:32:41 pm »
Splitting logs into staves: Wedges, sledgehammer, axe/maul
Chasing rings: drawknife
Roughing out: bandsaw, or hatchet, or drawknife, or sharp rock, or any combination thereof
Rough tillering: drawknife, farrier's rasp
Late tillering: Nicholson 49 rasp, scraper
Other: heat gun, sandpaper, small round rasp or chainsaw file, pocketknife, belt sander, Dremel tool

That is what I usually use, everybody's kit is probably a bit different. You can use anything from stone tools to power tools-basically, you want something that will remove wood in a hurry, something that will remove wood slowly, something that will smooth and polish wood, a source of heat.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 09:04:40 pm »
tools for what?bow building,arrow making,rock knapping,knife making,or tools used for tanning and fleshing hides?

most folks on here do more than one hobby/craft.
i will list my bow making tools and such later,when i have more time

He probably meant tools for making bows, since it was in the Bows section. ;)

There are so many tools that you could use to make a bow.  Some of my "go to" tools include:

A small carving drawknife (it's only about 6" long)  It really is nice for when you're getting close to the ring you are chasing.
The torges scraper (it's basically a chair scraper)
A few card scrapers, and a goose neck scraper
Nicholson 49 rasp
Chainsaw file (cutting nocks)
Traverse City, MI

Offline ryanfromcanada

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 09:23:52 pm »
sorry dana, i havent searched this and i will. theres no need to awnser if you don't want to but i can understand how you can be frustrated by that and i will search before i ask next time.
sorry to hear youre having a bad day  O:)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 07:25:06 am »
No frustration here Ryan,I use about what Hillbilly uses,don't need all that stuff but it is handy.
If I could only have a few it would be sledge and wedge,drawknife and farrier rasp and scraper.
That will get the job done fairly easily.The band saw is sure handy tho. ;) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 08:06:34 am »
Ryan my apologies I really was in a bad mood last night after finding out someone has been tapping all of my accounts >:(

I shouldn't have been so sarcastic and mean spirited. Your questions are welcome and yes if you search a little most questions a new guy will
have, have been answered many times. Hope you stick with it and turn out a great bow. :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 10:36:07 am »
Nicholson #49, Nicholson course half round, chainsaw file, draw knife and cabinet scrapers. I can make any bow with these but I also have a bandsaw, belt sander,  jointer, dust collection system and every other bow making tool imaginable. As one's bowmaking addiction grows his collection wood working tools follows suit.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 10:40:25 am by Eric Krewson »