Author Topic: Forging Metal Arrow Heads?  (Read 4944 times)

sourdough

Forging Metal Arrow Heads?
« on: September 06, 2009, 01:19:41 am »
i was just wondering if it was possible to make arrow heads out of re-bar..... i know i think its a little crazy too..

sourdough

Far East Archer

Re: Forging Metal Arrow Heads?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 06:59:48 am »
You can, but you should know a rebar is just a recycle metal an since use for construction it not much matter its composition.
So, it is possible to have very poor quality steel or maybe if lucky you can get some higher carbon content which would make it heat treatable.

I think if you just want to use for practice and making a arrowhead that will not need sharp edge or very hard point (for armour piercing) you can make a point from it, no problem. I think most commercial target points you buy are made from low carbon steel anyways, they always blunt after hitting something hard.

Btw, easy way to test your steel's carbon content is by grinding it and watching the sparks. If it not spark very brightly it has little carbon, more wild and bright spark means it has more carbon and possible to heat treat.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 04:55:10 pm »
overload  :P :-\ :P

i aint got no kinda idea but im pretty sure you could find something better.
lets just shoot it

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 08:16:29 pm »
you can use it to practices ;D but i would not try and put a edge on them! :-\ like Far East Archer said it is a low carbon steel. you can try to add carbon with a torch but that is hard! ??? i have made some arrows out of mild steel that you get at home bepot and i have to say it bends but it holds a ok edge once you temper and quenche it :)