Author Topic: Is this gonna be a problem?  (Read 3269 times)

Offline 22arrows

Is this gonna be a problem?
« on: March 03, 2009, 05:56:02 pm »
After my first bow breaking on me yesterday. I headed out this morning to get another board to work with to try and get a bow going. As I started roughing out the limb I ran into this area (pictured below). This spot I am concerned with is on the belly of the bow. If anyone has any insight I would appreciate it any suggestions.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Is this gonna be a problem?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 06:03:43 pm »
If that is on the Belly....don't worry about it....But take a good look at the Back on the opposite side of that spot.....If you are going to get Boards for Bows....My Suggestion....and I am sure that others will chime in and say otherwise......My Suggestion is to look for a Board that is Biased Cut...or Quartersawn...with as little to no Runoff to speak of....I have never had a Quartersawn Board break on My with any style of Bow other than an ELB....but I believe that to have been My fault for pushing a piece of Red Oak to it's limits.....here is my favorite Picture of Grain Cuts....I have marked what I look for.....Good Luck....and Keep Scraping

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline 22arrows

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 06:49:37 pm »
Thanks for the insight into wood grain. The back looks ok to me, but I a newbie at this stuff. Hopefully all will be good with this one?

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 08:21:22 am »
Good looking photo showing the grain for folks wanting to build board bows El Destructo...this question is often asked. That photo would be good maybe in the build-along section or somewhere a new person could be quickly directed to... :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 08:38:00 am »
As Destructo said those rings shouldn't be a problem at all. If that were a stave instead of a board there would be a hump or knot on the back side. Consequently, the limb might tend to be a little stiff at that point and carefully need scrapped. If the back side shows that several rings have been cut through there you will want to back it with some type of material. The way the rings lay in the middle of the limb suggest you have a pretty good cut of wood. Where will this knot lay in relationship to distance from the handle area or towards the tip?
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 09:14:32 am »
Why take a chance? Why not just glue a rawhide or some other backing on it?
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline 22arrows

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 11:04:04 am »
As Destructo said those rings shouldn't be a problem at all. If that were a stave instead of a board there would be a hump or knot on the back side. Consequently, the limb might tend to be a little stiff at that point and carefully need scrapped. If the back side shows that several rings have been cut through there you will want to back it with some type of material. The way the rings lay in the middle of the limb suggest you have a pretty good cut of wood. Where will this knot lay in relationship to distance from the handle area or towards the tip?

Hey thanks thats reassuring. That area is approximately on the last 1/3 of the limb; about 15 inches from the tip.

Thanks again, I'll keep everyone posted

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 12:52:46 pm »
That looks like a high spot on the belly. That means the bow is probably a little stiff in that area.
Gordon

Offline 22arrows

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 05:17:50 pm »
That looks like a high spot on the belly. That means the bow is probably a little stiff in that area.

Yup the limbs are still pretty thick right now. I have alot of thinning to do still

Ryano, I will be backing this one ;D

nickf

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 04:02:50 am »
doesn't really matter on the belly ;)
back is way more vulnerable to grain runoffs.

Nick