Author Topic: Ideas for Primitive Blunts  (Read 6031 times)

Offline Diligence

Ideas for Primitive Blunts
« on: February 20, 2009, 01:45:28 pm »
I've seen a few different photos of primitive style blunts.  Some were made with crossed shafts material bound to the arrow shaft, and others were just fire hardened arrow shafts.

Are any of you aware of primitive hunting points that were not scapel sharp knapped material, yet were still sinewed in place?

I'm beginning to explore primitive archery - trying to search for answers first, then post questions second - but I'm not sure how to create durable stump shooting primitive arrows?

I had thought about lashing small pebbles to the shaft, or perhaps creating a larger diameter foot, or maybe even using a bone as an overlay (ie the ball of the leg bone of a rodent).  My latest idea is to attach an elk or moose tooth to the end of the shaft -- I just don't have any teeth laying around.

What have you all used?

D
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Ideas for Primitive Blunts
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 04:06:13 pm »
There are as many different styles as there are folks using them. Some Native Americans had the point end larger in diameter then tapering back toward the feathers. I've seen arrows with honey locust thorns as points. One of my favorites is not primitive but works very well for small game. It is called a nutter and all it is is a hex nut screwed onto the point taper of your shaft.
   For cane arrows a 16d nail with a wad of brass brazed on the head and shaped into a cone works well also. You glue the shank of the nail into the center hole of the cane. For hardwood shoot arrows or dowel type arrows a small piece of metal cut into a rectangle and glued into a slot in the point end of the shaft.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 04:11:57 pm »
What Pat said works great.
I would experiment with all thos e you have said Diligence. You never know what might work. I have tried small ball studs like would be used to hold hood shocks on cars or to hold the shocks on a back hatch of a car. bullet casings work great. Take pieces of bone and shape them into what ever shape point you want.
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 04:41:15 pm »
The Eastern Woodlands Indians made lots of blunts by reducing a split piece of wood to shaft size, but leaving the head bigger.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 05:06:39 pm »
I make mine Like This....a little Work...but they are cool looking and easy to find if you miss....they dont bury themselves in the Grass

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 12:45:51 am »
Here's a picture of what I came up with.  I haven't hit a rabbit with it yet.  It's shaped from a deer antler, then drilled to match the size of the shaft.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 12:53:14 am »
That looks like a bunny buster for sure,  do you Mind if I copy that idea and give it a try..Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 01:12:08 am »
Hawk, help yourself.  I shot it into a foam target.  It shot well but was a little tough pulling out.  I would taper the back more to prevent pulling it from the shaft.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 01:19:57 am »
Just wrap a big wad of sinew around the tip.  Use plenty of glue. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 01:28:56 am »
Here's some Abenaki-Penobscot wooden tipped arrrows:

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 09:36:15 am »
Yep, Patrick-that's the kind I was talking about. Thanks for digging up a pic.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Diligence

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 11:40:42 pm »
Thanks for the ideas fellas.....those last carved points are very interesting.  Are those authentic? or just a recreation?

Cheers,
D
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 01:19:09 am »
Authentic.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline Diligence

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 05:06:01 pm »
Excellent photo....I just got my hands on a copy of American Indian Archery and I have now seen some of the differnt type of authentic blunts.  Also, just picked up a copy of TBB, vol 3 (I think) that shows some of Ishi's designs.

I've been enlightened!

thanks all

D