Author Topic: Impressed with this finish  (Read 2469 times)

Offline venisonburger

Impressed with this finish
« on: March 01, 2009, 12:03:27 am »
I tryed something different yesterday, heres the deal, I had to make up some arrows in one day for someone that was doing a ceremony for boy scouts and needed them in one day. Procrastination I'd say. Anyway, I went to the hardware store and bought dowels. I was worried cause I had to put some kind of finish on the dowels but I needed to fletch them the same night so they'd be done for morning. Most stains ect are oily and not much will stick to them until after they're dry and a finish has been applied. I decided to give Minwax wood sheen rubbing oil and finish. it's stain and finish in one, kinda like the polyshades they make. I was impressed by the coverage, it recommended two coats with 2 hours dry time in between, I used one and was pleased with the darkness. in two hours the finish was not sticky at all, I was able to fletch the arrows with fletch tape and had no problems. I'm going to use this on the next bow I finish and it may become my new favorite. Sorry tru-oil, you might have to take second place.
VB

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Impressed with this finish
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 12:49:01 am »
I've always like the rub-on stuff.  I might give it a try.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr