Author Topic: Finger Position for hand with amputated fingers?  (Read 4936 times)

Offline Diligence

Finger Position for hand with amputated fingers?
« on: March 28, 2009, 05:25:24 pm »
Okay folks,

I have the unique situation of only have a thumb and two fingers on my right hand (pointer and index).  The ring and pinky have been gone for 20 years.

Just trying to get back into bows (it's been 20 years) and previously I used a release with my compound bow.  Now I want to try traditional gear.  Have just finished a self-bow and am looking for your collective advice.

I just made myself a tab, and have been shooting a bit with one finger above and one below the arrow.  It feels pretty secure as long as my nock stays on the string, but I'm wondering if two fingers below with some sort of thumb support from above would be a better method.

As I said, previously I used a release and so have no experience to guide me...I'm shooting a self-bow around 55#, off the hand.  Currently only using aluminum arrows with plastic nocks, but as soon as I finish some fletching, plan to change to home made woodies with wood nocks.

...what would you all suggest?  Pro's cons?....I tried to do a search, but had trouble narrowing it down enough.

Cheers,
D

"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Kegan

Re: Finger Position for hand with amputated fingers?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 06:55:58 pm »
Nothing wrong with that. Might cause a bit of gfinger pain in weights above that, but you should have no problem with it. If nothing else you can use your release (no one would hold it against you). So long as you're shooting :)!

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 08:15:12 pm »
My dad, is missing fingers as well and uses two fingers under and a sinew nock point above the arrow.. he has taken literally hundreds of animals with his selfbows... happy hunting.... Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Diligence

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 05:12:08 pm »
Thanks for your thoughts.....when the snow that fell last night melts, I'll get out and try the 2 fingers under.

Cheers,
D
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 06:00:11 pm »
I would think one above and one below would be more comfortable because of even pressure on both fingers. Do try other options and use what works best you you.
  For shooting all day long, one above and one below might be the ticket. For hunting situations two under might be, but you will have to choose only one and stick with it so your draw is consistent.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Diligence

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 10:37:53 pm »
Shooting all day....I have to laugh at that.  I'm so out of bow shape that I'm having a hard time holding my full draw for more than a second or so....working on that though.

I'm starting to think that my scale might be wrong....sure feels heavier than 55#.

I was fiddling around inside today, and realized that I've got a pretty deep hook going on (I think that's what you call it).

Just how close to your fingertips do you all place the string?  It felt most secure doing full draws and then let down to brace (with a homemade tab without spacer) to have the string just on the knuckle crease of my middle finger.

D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 12:22:40 am »
I had a long time archer tell me a deep hook is the way to go. He said it helped with a more accurate release. I have a problem keeping the string that deep. I prefer the first joint.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 12:26:13 pm »
I like the one above one below and I have all of my fingers.  ;D Two ender will work as will any grip as long as you are consistant. The reason I like one above one under is it allows me to hold the arrow on the string while stocking.  I don't like tight snap on nocks and a loose one will fall off as you are walking. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 08:48:52 pm »
  How about a Thumb Ring?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Diligence

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 12:29:58 pm »
I hadn't thought about that...I will have to look it up and figure out how to use one.  For interests sake, I shot last night in the garage a bit.  One over and one under seems more natural, but I also don't have a nocking point on the string either.

I did find that my pointer finger was getting stung a bit, maybe from the arrow nock?  Might have to add a spacer to my tab.

Thanks for the good advice....anything else you can think of?

D
PS....I'm having a blast trying to learn about this stuff!  I even checked out some local archery club info and just need to be sure that I can reasonably hit a target before showing up and embarrassing myself with my "really ugly bent stick".

Offline Olschool

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 07:13:45 am »
With a good nocking point on the string two under should be fine, also if your making the change from release and sights to barebow 2 under gets the arrow nock closer to your eye and you can look down the arrow to line up your shots.
Welcome to the group, soon you'll be makeing fun of your friends that still have training wheels on their bows.  ;D
There is always a way to get it done

Offline Diligence

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 10:44:54 pm »
Great to see that archery can span thru all the abilities!  very cool!

D