Author Topic: what would you bring?  (Read 25252 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: what would you bring?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 09:25:25 pm »
Hmmm!

1)Paracord
2)Magnesium firestarter
3)Hatchet or large knife
4)water filter
5)some wire for snares
6) heavy wool blanket
7) .22 pistol or rifle.
8)Tent
9)BackPack
10) Map of the area!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 09:58:49 pm »
1.Small backpacking tarp. (super light and small)
2.space blanket
3.hatchet or small axe
4.leatherman
5.cord
6.magnesium fire starter (it burns so hot it will light up really damp to almost wet tinder)
7.Water purification tablets.
8.Container for water
9.22 rifle and cartridges
10.compass
Traverse City, MI

Offline Dane

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 10:37:55 pm »
you guys are over thinking the question ???  no what ifs   the question is what 10 items would you choose if you could for a survival situation?

Okay, but WHAT is the survival situation? All environments? All contingencies? Ones you full expect to have to deal with, and can plan ahead? See what I mean? Didn't mean to be pendantic, and it's a fun game, but not useful. When my car breaks down in a blizzard one day, that .410 shotgun is no good to me. If the somewhat elderly Yankee Vermont powerplant melts down, I doubt a compass or fishing gear is much use.

Anyway, have fun.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Arthur Herrmann

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 10:44:41 pm »
The game is too easy with 10 items. I think the rules should be changed so that you can only take stuff that could fit in a glove box of a car.

Makes it more challenging.

If you want to get out of the woods, signal fires would be the way to go-if someone is looking for you. If you are going in and plan on hiking out then that would affect my list as well. There is many variables that affect what I would chose. Depends on the situation.

But for fun, my top three would be a big pot, the tracker knife, and those magnesium ferrocium combo sticks.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 11:18:17 pm »
In my story he has a .22 mag. id take that, can kill a deer if close enough and a good shot. Also, a good fixed blade knife, a good hudson bay wool blanket, lighters or matches, hatchet or 'hawk, a small tin pot, maybe a good woods dog nothing better than a reliable companion in the woods. also, possible a good water filtration kit.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 11:35:42 pm »
Depends on the area and season.  Taught a couple of survival training classes where we actually went to the woods in coastal Oregon in the spring and it was really tough!
1.  Big Knife
2.  sling shot
3.  fishing line and hooks (in season)
4.  small tarp
5.  rope
6. hatchet
7. pocket sized magnesium fire starter
8. combination cooking pot water pan
9. roll of heavy twine
10:  And Mike Huston  O:) O:)    Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline DanaM

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 10:57:28 am »
If you know your going to be in a survival situation I guess I would bring the Coast Gaurd :)

As has been stated, when you do find yourself in a survival situation there is no planning so its what you have on your person
that counts. The enviroment your in dictates to some extent your needs but your most immediate 3 needs are going to be water, shelter and fire,
anytype of weapon be it gun or bow is ranked at the bottom of the list by survival experts. Food is actually fairly low on the list also, insects are easier to catch
and contain lots of protein. Part of surviving is conserving energy so spending all day tromping around trying to hunt and make a kill is a net loss of energy.

1. At least 2 sources of fire, better with 3
2. Space blanket or at least a big trash bag for shelter
3. Good knife
4. Cord 50'
5. Fishing hooks and line if in an area with fish.
6. Compass
7. A few candy bars or high energy bars
8. Most importantly Your "Wits" stay calm. Find a good spot to set up and remain there and wait for rescue.

All this will fit in a pocket or two and can make the difference, after all most people that get lost in the US are found within a day or two.
The antics of Les and the other guy on TV are really stupid and will most likely get you hurt or sick, either of them happen and yer in real trouble.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 03:46:49 pm »
Now lets say it's an unplanned for survival sittuation. What would be the things you always carry with you that would help you survive!

I always have a pocket knife and my shoe laces!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 04:45:17 pm »
yeah shoelaces are great!
Modern Day Tramp

Offline cracker

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 04:58:23 pm »
I keep tools in my truck.1. Light Ax
                                  2.Duct Tape
                                  3.My .22 and lots of ammo.
                                  4.A torch striker and alcohol pads from first aid kit to make fire.All the steel workers out there will know what
                                     striker is.Plus at least one other means of fire making.
                                  5.A bunch of parechute cord.
                                  6.Drinking water and or filter
                                  7.A tarp
                                  8.A large screwdriver for breaking into whatever you might find.
                                  9.Some keep warm stuff. Blankets sleeping bag etc..
                                 10.Some one elses wife.Mine really gets on my nerves.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2009, 05:13:13 pm »
10. is perfect im not married but i damn well know what you mean!  :P
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Kegan

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009, 06:30:20 pm »
Now lets say it's an unplanned for survival sittuation. What would be the things you always carry with you that would help you survive!

I always have a pocket knife and my shoe laces!

Excellent point! I have a pocket knife in 'town', and a KaBar in the woods. Somtiems have a bit of paracord in my pocket, but not always. And only have shoeleaces if I have boots on (my normal shoes don't have them :P).

So I have a knife and ... ummm... a positive attitude ;D!

Offline david w.

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2009, 07:06:13 pm »
I have always wanted to try a "My Side of the Mountain" thing.  I love that book
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009, 07:12:17 pm »
hey david same here man, i tried it when i was about twelve or thirteen lasted a few hours in the hot summer woods till i couldnt get a fire started...ha, but that book is great, but sam doesnt face as many hardships as i would expect in real life.
Modern Day Tramp