Author Topic: Router jig plans  (Read 5743 times)

Uncas

Router jig plans
« on: February 24, 2009, 06:31:50 pm »
hello all,
i'm building a jig to make arrows with my router from 1/2 rips, i've searched and read plenty of threads but no pictures. can anyone post pictures of plans of the jig they use

thanks

Offline Diligence

Re: Router jig plans
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 11:27:16 am »
Highland Woodworking.com has plans for a jig for dowel making.  Look in their Library section...
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

salad days

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 02:06:21 pm »
duffontap had a couple of really good pictures in a build along last year. You might be able to search his posts and find it.

Offline Timo

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 11:46:28 pm »
Here's the one I made several years ago. Still working great today.I use a 3/8 beading bit,(some call it a bull nose bit).Makes alot cleaner shaft out of the doweller.

Here's a lil trick for getting them right. chuck up the shaft in your drill,get a collar from a taper tool started on the shaft,Hold it verticle and let it chase your sandpaper down the shaft.The collar will stick on the high spots. Just sand were needed.I always use 100 grit for this and then finish sand with 180,parrellel.

Uncas

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 10:40:33 pm »
thank you for the help

bmbmkr

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 09:45:01 pm »
What's the diameter of the holes in the angle iron?

I've just made my first "board" arrows, I shaved down 3/8" arrow staves to eight, then sixteen sides with a small block plane.

I did use the drill to sand them. I drilled a hole in a piece of scrap wood to check diameter. I' like the collar idea though, I'll try that on the next batch.

Has anyone else made arrows out of boards? what's your fav wood? I'm using oak now, have shot a few at cardboard, so far so good!  I'm still new at this, this is a GREAT website by the way, thanks to everyone for sharing so much.

Offline Timo

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 12:18:18 am »
The 2 infeed holes are 1/2" I rip my wood itno 3/8" square.They fit kinda tight in the infeed holes. The 2 out feed,(past the router) are 3/8 holes. Takes a bit to get it adjusted,but onec there I can turn,sand,spine and taper  a dozen shafts an hour.

I've used about anykind of wood there is.Doug fir runs very well.