Author Topic: Work up to war bow weight  (Read 21728 times)

Rod

Re: Work up to war bow weight
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 01:04:49 pm »
I've never shot more than 90 lb but the weakness was not in the drawing side but in the elbow of my bow arm.
I see a lot of folks hump up their shoulder and lock out their bow arm, but that's not a style I favour.

Rod.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 11:21:25 am by Rod »

Offline gigmaster

• The Naturalpath
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 06:44:56 am »
My warbow is only 80 pounds, because I just haven't run across any heavier bows, yet. But I'd really love to have a 100 Pounder. Pulling the heavy bows is like lifting heavy weights....it's mostly technique. I would practice on lower weights and work up to the war weights. And, you might try a little progressive weight training as well, especially on your scapularis and traps. get upour technique dowqn well, before you move to the higher weights, to avoid injury.

Remember, the Old English Archers could pull 120 pound warbows, but their bodies were permanently deformed from the process. You don't want that. An archeologist can tell from the appearance of the skeleton of Dark to Middle Ages Englishemen if he was a longbowmen or not. The archers all have deformed bones from a lifetime of pulling heavy bows.

Go easy. Take your time, and you will get there.

Offline ratty

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 02:30:32 am »
My warbow is only 80 pounds, because I just haven't run across any heavier bows, yet. But I'd really love to have a 100 Pounder. Pulling the heavy bows is like lifting heavy weights....it's mostly technique. I would practice on lower weights and work up to the war weights. And, you might try a little progressive weight training as well, especially on your scapularis and traps. get upour technique dowqn well, before you move to the higher weights, to avoid injury.

Remember, the Old English Archers could pull 120 pound warbows, but their bodies were permanently deformed from the process. You don't want that. An archeologist can tell from the appearance of the skeleton of Dark to Middle Ages Englishemen if he was a longbowmen or not. The archers all have deformed bones from a lifetime of pulling heavy bows.

Go easy. Take your time, and you will get there.

i don't think anyone will get a deformity from shooting a heavy bow, unless they are shooting a heavy bow from childhood. it will not effect adults but you could injur yourself if you progress with bow weight without a good technique.

in my sig picture below i am shooting a 138# yew bow i have no deformed bone's, as yet ;)

my bow weight progression was

30#
55#
80#
100#
110#
120#
133#
138#

my goal is to reach 150#

from 80# to 138# has taken around 3 years give or take a few months
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 03:16:52 am by ratty »