Author Topic: Suggestion to PA, moderators and administrators  (Read 8112 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
Re: Suggestion to PA, moderators and administrators
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 11:58:54 am »
what about adopting jawge tsoukala's info and having it set as a dedicated page. itcovers the basics and is well written. just have to ask jawge
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline DanaM

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 12:03:17 pm »
Thats a good idea jamie, maybe include Mickey Lotz's web page also. I used both extensively when I started out :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 12:27:22 pm »
I thought about doing that with George's site, also. I believe Mickey's site has been disables, from what I have heard.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 12:32:33 pm »
Yup Mickey's is gone :( Too bad it was a good one.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 12:49:43 pm »
Lots of good info lost for good! :(
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 01:14:09 pm »
It is kind of depressing when we loose a site like Mickey's.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 01:18:14 pm »
It is kind of depressing when we loose a site like Mickey's.

Is anyone in touch with him, perhaps he has all his info saved and would be wiling to donate it to PA. If that is even possible from
technical aspect.

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 01:23:21 pm »
I think some of the guys on TradGang tried to retrieve it with no success.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 01:24:26 pm »
Dang he had so much good stuff on his site :(

Manistique, MI

nickf

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 03:51:25 pm »
I like the idea, but just as happens with many other forums, these forums won't be visited often by experienced bowyers.
I could post the same bow I posted in the warbow section, on this forum, and get 3times as much replies. There's always a main forum, it's the 'bows' forum here. New guys will ask their questions here anyways, since they will get better and more replies on it.

so it's a great idea, in theory, but it won't be so effective in real. IMho.

Nick

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 05:09:43 pm »
There used to be a separate  beginners section on this forum a few years ago. I don't remember what it was called but I seem to remember that it was well travelled.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2009, 07:31:00 pm »
Thanks George, My whole point is if we had a begineers section is it would be easy to refer them over to the section where many of the FAQ
would have ready made answers. As jamie suggested a link to your site stickied to the top would be fantastic.

Sure would like to see some more input from the regulars :)

Manistique, MI

Offline Timo

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2009, 08:34:15 pm »
Dana, I posted a handle wrap in the build along forum last night. Do I get a prize? :)

As for Mickey, he has kinda lost the spark. Hasn't built a bow in a couple years now. He announced @ Mojam last year that it would probly be his last. I guess that is one reason his site is not running? Sad. Just trying to live life I rekon. He and Di have has some health issues as of late, so that sure doesn't help.

Really had a lot of stuff on there.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2009, 11:03:41 pm »
  I like the Idea myself. It seems and I am real guilty of it, but when somebody ask's a real basic question, I don't respond very quick. I know if I stall, or busy at work, 20 people will answer it appropriatly. A go - to page, I think would work.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2009, 11:11:40 pm »
I like the idea of a beginner's section....but instead of posting links to old articles, we could each contribute tips that we think newcomers should know.  There seems to be only a few questions that keep coming up, so I think it wouldn't take much time to post your "beginner's tips".

Here are some questions I see over and over again:

- Is yadayada a good wood for bows?  (answer: yes, as long as the bow is designed properly).

- How long do I dry a stave of yadayada wood before I make a bow from it? (answer: weigh it every day, and when it stops loosing weight for 3 days in a row, wait a week, and it's ready.....read TBB, Vol 1, page 41).

- What do I back my yadayada bow with?  (answer: TBB, Vol 1, chapters 10 & 11).

- Where do I get yadayada wood staves? (answer: Primitive Archer trading post, trash piles, wood lots with owner's permission, internet mail order).

- What finish do I use for my yadayada bow? (answer: whatever you would use on a fine piece of furniture).

- Is the yadayada wood stave still good if it has worm holes, big knots, or checks? (answer: nope)

- What is the correct way of doing such and such?  (answer: there are several correct ways).

- Do you guys find yourselves looking at trees funny (with lust) after you've made your first bow? (answer: yep).

- Why can't I find the info I'm looking for on such and such? (answer: you need to search the net for longer than 5 minutes.....MUCH longer.....perhaps 7 or 8 minutes).

- How do I process a deer for sinew, rawhide, bones, etc? (answer: you need to search the net for longer than 5 minutes.....MUCH longer.....perhaps 7 or 8 minutes).

- Where do I get new ideas for my bows, arrows, and such? (answer: you need to search the net for longer than 5 minutes.....MUCH longer.....perhaps 7 or 8 minutes).

-What does such and such mean? (answer: you need to search the net for longer than 5 minutes.....MUCH longer.....perhaps 7 or 8 minutes).

Anyway, you get the idea.  My advice to new people is make the investment in as many books as you can.......make and break as many bows as you can.....make, shoot and loose as many arrows as you can......and then after a few months, ask your questions.  You will understand the advice much better with a little experience.
 ;)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 12:36:06 am by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr