Author Topic: Sharp knives Vs Somewhat sharp knives  (Read 3194 times)

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
Sharp knives Vs Somewhat sharp knives
« on: March 11, 2009, 01:40:08 pm »
What type of knife is better for ring chasing??? in my opinion i think a somewhat dull knife is better because if it is too sharp it wont follow the ring, it will just go down a few rings rather then just one,
"If you open your mind for me
You won't rely on open eyes to see
The walls you build within come tumbling down
And a new world will begin" ----- Queensryche, "Silent Lucidity

R.H , Southeastern PA/Western PA.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Sharp knives Vs Somewhat sharp knives
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 01:42:18 pm »
I've always used a dull draw knife. Never tried a sharp one.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bearbowman

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 01:46:47 pm »
my draw knife is very sharp and I have found that if I turn it around backwards and have it at a 90 degree angle to the wood it works as a great scraper.

I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but will using my knife in this manner damage it?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 02:25:55 pm »
It has never damaged mine to use it as a scraper.I guess a real tool guy might disagree! ::) My draw knife belonged to my wife's Dad and he got it 50 years ago from a flea market. ::) I don't think it has ever been sharpened.

Bearbowman, Did you get my PM this morning? I am having troubles with PMs going out!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 02:37:20 pm »
Hawkeye the Hornbeam you have doesn't need to have a ring chased, just get the bark and cambium layer off and your good to go :)

Pat I'm having the same trouble with PM's ???
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 03:55:28 pm »
Dana, We all are. We're checking into the problem now.    ;)  Thanks for the heads up!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 04:15:52 pm »

Me too....also is anyone else having trouble with the Spell Check locking up the Web Page....and shutting it down?? Almost every time I use it I get a Message of an Error...and you click on it....and the Page closes..... :-\
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 05:00:24 pm »
I like a drawknife that isn't razor sharp for ring chasing, but not completely real dull, either. Bearbowman, I use the drawknife like that a lot, too. You just have to be careful to not drop it hard enough to make deep cuts in the ring at the start of a scrape, especially with thin-ringed wood.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 05:11:34 pm »
I found I like one of both.  A sharp one is nice for removing sapwood and other stubborn stuff.  A somehwat dull one is nice for ring chasing.  But I have a lot to learn.
Westminster, MD

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 10:58:44 pm »
Hawkeye the Hornbeam you have doesn't need to have a ring chased, just get the bark and cambium layer off and your good to go :)

My hornbeam stave broke at a knot in the middle when i tried to straighten it out (a little twist in it, okay it wasnt so LITTLE...) but yeah... it is prolly 10 miles away i through in the river next to me :P (where all my failures go, other then ones i can see use in, or useful staves that can be made into shortbows...)

well... i have some Hop-hornbeam (this time i KNOW its hop-hornbeam :P the bark looks like paper went thru a paper shredder, made 20x thicker, AND glued all over the tree with them all facing in the same downward direction :P) very straight and not many knots and they are all small, but i dont want them to affect anything so i brought this topic up... i heard it cant hurt to chase rings on ANY wood :P just woods like osage NEED it more then others :P
"If you open your mind for me
You won't rely on open eyes to see
The walls you build within come tumbling down
And a new world will begin" ----- Queensryche, "Silent Lucidity

R.H , Southeastern PA/Western PA.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 07:26:00 am »
I use a sharp draw knife for debarking and chasing,and keep my scraper handy for the clean up.
You just have to be careful not to let it cut to deep and get into the next ring, I try and catch the ring I want in the crusty layer above it and clean that up with my scraper. :) Never used a drawknife
for a scraper. :)
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good