Author Topic: Ipe/maple advice?  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Parnell

Ipe/maple advice?
« on: March 12, 2009, 10:31:01 pm »
Hello,

I'm looking for some help on this bow.  It will hopefully be my 4th working, since beginning in January.

It is 64" long and currently pulling 75lbs.@10".  Too much.  Also, it is 1 inch at center and 3/8 at tips.  My third bow was alike this but the nocks were Ipe instead of cedar and pulled about 53 lbs@28".  I'm pleased with that, but,  I'd like this bow to come out with more draw weight.

My questions:

1.  Where do I look to start to shave this down - over full length of bow or at certain points.
2.  What would be a good goal weight for this bow at this length on the high end?

Thanks in advance for input.

Parnell   

[attachment deleted by admin]
1’—>1’

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Ipe/maple advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 10:42:07 pm »
You always want to get the Wood from the Handle out moving first....you seem to have that going....I would remove a little from Mid Limb towards the Tips....go slow....and work the Wood as you go....should be  a nice Bow....as long as you take your time!! Oh....and shorten the String as soon as youcan ....a too long of a string gives a false look on the shape of the Tiller....I really like the color combination of the two Woods!

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 10:44:51 pm »
well.....the tips on both sides seem stiff, and the left limb bends more in the middle then the right limb which looks great except for the area near the tips....being stiff and all. It looks beautiful man
knapp 'um if you got 'um

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 11:20:38 pm »
I just finished an Ipe bow, bamboo back, its only 3/4 wide fading ti 3/8 tips and pulls 60 at 26 with 2 inch reflex, deflex and no set. you might have to cut the width down.