Author Topic: Cascara stave - thoughts?  (Read 5583 times)

Offline redwasp

Re: Cascara stave - thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 08:05:34 pm »
you guys keep scaring him so he will give up and send it to me >:D I've never seen VM or Cascara only hickory,ipe, and osage.
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 01:07:55 am »
Ha!  Nothin' scares me!!   >:D

Thanks Brian - I'll heed your advice!

Also, I pulled out my first VM, laid them side by side and hmm, sure looks like they we're cut from the same tree, or long lost cousins anyway. 

A  challenge I'm ready to tackle!  :)   Tho... VM vs Cascara... hrmmm  Again, I wish I didn't know better now.  hehe   

I'll work on that kink.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 11:14:51 pm »
         Ok, I will play along... I would like a pic of the belly in the area of the erratic bend....if possible??? I would suggest steam, and lots of it. I would deflex the reflexed limb, and very carefully try to steam as much of the "kink" out as possible. By this I mean....reflex or deflex the area as needed to obtain a straight limb as viewed from the side. Leave a accessive amount of wood in the area of the "kink" till you get the bow bending on both sides of the bend ("kink") ...this will be a guessing game, especially when it comes to a final wanted draw weight. Most important will be a need for a backing....(unless your feeling lucky) You could burnish the heck out of the limbs , but in my expirience once you alter the natural makeup of Cascara it becomes a weak spot. Your biggest problem is where the "kink"is..... not impossible, but you will work for it! ;D
Brian

Pics from my camera phone a pretty pathetic.. see what these pics tell ya.
So Cascara needs backed?  I might try for the 'feeling lucky' approach, this has a very abnormal under-bark grain that I don't want to lose, if possible.  You'll see it in the last picture.

Steam... oh good, another first.  This is a pretty dry stave, being midlimb and since its still pretty thick (3/4") at those spots, maybe it'll be fine in terms of checking.

Not sure these pics are what you were looking for (what are you looking for?), but let me know.

Thanks Brian,

Mike

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

brian melton

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 03:00:21 am »
Mike,

It is very difficult to describe in writing how I would tackle this....therefore I will leave it to others, or just take a crack at it, and hope for the best.... No Cascara does not need backing for all staves, and you may get away with it on this one, but be prepared just n case..... ;D