Author Topic: Oregon Ash - recommendations?  (Read 3499 times)

Offline BigWapiti

Oregon Ash - recommendations?
« on: March 08, 2009, 07:14:04 pm »
I have a long straight piece of oregon ash (~7' and 2.5" in dia) that I've had debarked and strapped to a straight T-post bar since early last summer.  I'd like to get started on it.

Anyone have any suggestions on style, length, etc that works best for this wood?

Is there a pacific coast or plains (trade?) native style that was common for ash?  That might be interesting to do if there was.

Thanks,

Mike
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

nickf

Re: Oregon Ash - recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 08:34:47 pm »
Ash was used for sinewbacked, setback-handled shortbows, with a drawlength of about 20-25" and a total length of 44-56" in the plains area. pacific cost natives mainlymade wide, flat short(40"-56") sinewbacked(paddle) bows, with a slightly narrower, but bending handle and up to 3" wide midlimbs.

I'd suggest a handle bending bow, being 1 1/2" wide at the handle, and 3/8" at the tips. start the taper from about midlimb.
I would make it 76"ntn, and like 90#@ 32",  but for a 'normal' drawlength of 28", and a more 'normal' drawweight of 60#, you can go down to 64"ntn without problems.

If your first bow, you better make it 4" longer

Nick

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 11:23:30 pm »
Ash makes a wonderful ELB.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 10:53:01 am »
There's a technique that not many people use (but is described in TBB) to determine the best design for a particular type of wood.....the bend test.  Not all ash is created equal, with white ash being the best for bows.  If Oregon ash is a "weak" species, then long, wide and flat limbs will probably work best.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 10:58:26 pm »
what does the ash tree look llike? ??? would like to harvest some ;)

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 09:09:35 pm »
nickf, thanks - I've always wanted to build a paddle bow - but the dimensions you suggested sound good - I usually make my bows 66" or so - 76" would be a fun change actually.

adb - your recommendations are always welcome! I like hearing that from a guy like you.  Appreciate hearing that.

jackcrafty, which TBB?  I believe the Oregon Ash is a white ash, but I'll have to verify that now.  I can't recall.

juniper junkie, the ash tree (this one anyway) is long tall and straight - it reaches for the sky, building a canopy from a stand of ash trees.  So their branches tend to be way up there and so hardly any knots to deal with.  I'm excited to give it a try.  Its a 3.5 hr drive from where I am to the stand I found these, so I can't get you pictures.

I'll be watching this thread in case anyone else might want to give some input.  Might be until it warms up some more before I head to the shop to start this one.  :)  yep, I'm a wuss.  heheh

Thanks all,
Mike
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 10:05:41 pm »
Bend Test:  TBB, Volume 1, pages 99-103.
Lessons Learned From Bend Test:  pages 103-104.
Suggested Widths for Common Woods: pages 104-105.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 11:10:49 am »
what color is the bark and where does it grow?

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 01:47:31 pm »
what color is the bark and where does it grow?

This trees bark is a smooth green, grows along the Columbia River. But I see them up most wet drainages between the Columbia Gorge and on up over Satus Pass (WA) on to Yakima, WA.  Not sure if its that Native in the Yakima area, always seems to be in private property.  Haven't seen any on my hikes.

Not sure if any of these places help answer your question though.  Seem to like wet areas in dry climates though
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline Gordon

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 02:26:37 pm »
Keep the belly flat on this one. Ash is decent bow wood, but not exceptional in compression.
Gordon

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 07:08:01 pm »
I've read that Oregon ash is very similar to white ash as far as the properties of the wood. I've built several pretty good bows from white ash. A flatbow about 68" long and 1 3/4"-2" wide fades to midlimb tapering to skinny tips works good with ash, as does a long d-bow or a pyramid style. Heat in some reflex before tillering, ash does seem to take a bit more set than some woods.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.