Author Topic: 30% to low?  (Read 2527 times)

Offline Jmilbrandt

30% to low?
« on: March 15, 2009, 05:29:51 pm »
The rh of my house hovers around 30% and i'm starting to worry about my bows. I just moved here from Montana so I have never worried about it before but now i'm wondering if my bows are just slowly dropping in mc and are going to blow soon. :( Is 30% to low and what can I do to keep my bows safe?
SW Utah

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: 30% to low?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 07:31:03 pm »
I believe yew is the only wood you really need to worry about.  I have been checking staves I keep in my garage all year.  Even in summer when the temps are way high and the RH is way low nothing got much below optimum MC. Like I said, yew was the exception, it got down to 6%.  Make sure you keep them inside or in the shade when you aren't using them.  If they get left in the summer sun, they will bake dry and they will crack even without stringing.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 08:01:07 pm »
Its 33% here now in NH and probably lower this winter. I don't worry about it. It is what it is. There's nothing to do about it. Even after finishing the wood will acclimate to the humidity eventually. Justin, that may be why I keep hearing yew doesn't do well in the cold. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 11:46:04 pm »
The majority of my bows are yew.  :( Is there anything I can do to keep them from breaking?
SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 12:13:20 am »
Put them in a room with a humidifier.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 02:08:05 am »
Ok thanks Pat I'll try that.
SW Utah

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 10:24:28 am »
I would add ERC to that list as well. It explodes when it gets to dry and seems to dry out fast!
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....