Author Topic: is jasper a chert  (Read 3646 times)

Offline Blacktail

is jasper a chert
« on: March 16, 2009, 09:19:45 pm »
i was wondering if jasper is a chert...i have seen some points from here in oregon(artifacts from the past)and they are desribed as a chert.but when i look at the photos they look like jasper to me...so,does any one know.thanks john

Offline SiletzSpey

Re: is jasper a chert
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 03:13:36 am »
I just finished reading a number of sites, and it appears the term "chert" is inclusive (catch-all) of chert, jasper, chalcedony, agate, etc. One of several sites I looked at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chert

That said, Oregon does have several sources of material that are formally referred to as "chert", even in lithic studies. I found a piece of material in SE Oregon that I took for "chert", in part because of its cortex, so I assumed it was imported by Indians long ago from a far away place. Years later, I found the source area just miles away.

--SiletzSpey

Offline billy

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 02:07:13 am »
HEy blacktail,

YEah, jasper is basically another name for chert.  Usually jasper is a type of chert that is brown, red, or mustard yellow.  I found some mustard yellow jasper east of Redmond.  They were small chunks, only ping-pong ball sized, but I was able to crack some flakes off it and heat treat it. The exterior turned a bright red, and the inside is a glossy yellowish red.  It's pretty.  I made one point out of it so far, a small desert side-notched arrow point.  Jaspers heat treat, usually around 450-500 degrees, depending on quality.     
Marietta, Georgia

brian melton

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 08:44:15 pm »
Billy,

Redmond?? State??

Offline SiletzSpey

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 11:27:13 pm »

I bet Redmond Oregon, as due east takes you into the prime thunderegg, agate and jasper hotspot for Oregon.

--SiletzSpey

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 12:08:05 am »
i have found alot of jasper out side of here in prineville by ochoco resivour.i was just wondering if or why its not called chert rather than jasper.john

Offline billy

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 07:36:28 pm »
yeah, redmond, Oregon
Marietta, Georgia