Author Topic: Should I worry?  (Read 5104 times)

Offline Kegan

Should I worry?
« on: March 19, 2009, 02:29:19 pm »
Mullet sent me an excellent little osage stave, which I worked into a small R/D and backed with sinew. It's almost been a month of drying and the sinew has pulled a little at the overlays. When i start tillering, should I worry about that lifting there and wrap it off, or will the Knox gellatin be strong enough to keep it in place?

Offline Timo

Re: Should I worry?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 11:46:43 pm »
Pulling away as in  Away from the back,or pulling away form the overlay?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 11:48:34 pm »
How about a Picture??? I have never trusted Knox....make good elixir for strengthening Fingernails and Hair though....... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Colt45

• =]
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 01:11:46 am »
What I would do, and what I have found works very well, is to put a little super glue/epoxy/whatever under it and then wrap it with floss or a pretty thread which works great too (make sure you wrap it so there is no KNOT though). Then afterwards rub the super glue over the threads so they do not move or come loose. It's much better to be safe than sorry if you ask me.  ;D
The bow's in there, you just have to find it, and that is Boetry.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 06:04:16 pm »
Here's a picutre of what I was talking about.

Normally I'd jsut wrap it off and what not, but I intend to back with with snakeskins (a first for me) and want it to come out looking really nice. So... I've no idea what to do ???

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 07:06:32 pm »
Looks to Me like the Sinew shrunk as it dried leaving a small Gap....I have only done one Bow with Tip Overlays and a Sinew Backing....and I left the Sinew full length till it dried...then when I filed the Tips on an Angle for the Overlays...I filed through the Sinew Backing....so I had no exposed spot where the Sinew shrunk up....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 07:32:10 pm »
Ouch!....if the joint is going to be covered with snakeskin, I would fill that gap with epoxy.  If the joint is going to be exposed, I would remove the overlays and re-apply them.  In any case, I would wait until the sinew is COMPLETELY dry first.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 10:43:42 pm »
This is how I do sinew backings at the tips. The sinew on a non working section is just added weight. The wraps don't hinder stringing but hold the end of the snake skin and sinew well. It is silk thread set in super glue.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 06:12:21 pm »
Thanks guys. After backing it with snakeskins and filing the tips to shape I intended to wrap it off and set it in glue, but I need to get it tillered first. I'll put some epoxy there to hold it there and wrap/glue it off ontop of the skins afterwards.

Thanks eveyrone :).

Offline Timo

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 06:33:38 pm »
I don't see it as a big problem either Kegan.I think you are good to go.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 06:56:46 pm »
If you are worried about it while you tiller, put a temporary wrap for insurance and replace it later with a permanent wrap when you are ready to finish it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 07:23:23 pm »
If you are worried about it while you tiller, put a temporary wrap for insurance and replace it later with a permanent wrap when you are ready to finish it.

I thought about that but I've always put glue on finished wraps. WOuld no-glue still hold for me on a 70# or more bow?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 07:28:25 pm »
Better than not having it! ;D