Author Topic: Rewards of hard work.  (Read 9020 times)

DCM

Re: Rewards of hard work.
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 08:35:48 am »
Shooter makes a good point.  We sometimes take a lot for granted.  I was stuck in an apartment in Jacksonville for about 2 years in the late 80s.  Aside from being able to fish in the ocean (off the bank), it sucked.  I'm blessed that I have access and resource to can get out and do like Timo and most of ya'll I reckon.

You got a perty haul Timo.  It stirs a powerful hankerin' in me.  Fun.  Thanks for posting.

Timo is gonna show us about how a job like that can be made much less taxing if you listen to what the wood tells you.  Working up staves is kinda like tillering.  The dang wood already wants to part in a certain way, or has some feature or message for you when you bend over it.  I'm not for sure but I think this intuition if you will comes from having cut and split wood for heat, posts, etc. for example.  After accumulating several hundert hours of that work, one gets a sense of where to hit, and how hard.  Believe it or not, putting 100% force on every blow actually works against you in many cases.  And you don't need a giant hammer either.  You gotta seduce that baby, jess like tillering. 

Here's a link to a wood cutting trip I did in '04, for those with a thirst but without access.

http://home.comcast.net/~dcm4/site/?/page/Wood_cutting_in_%2704/
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 09:09:22 am by DCM »

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 09:58:55 am »
DANG YOU! TIMO!  :o
What are you trying to do to me!  ::)  I never seen that much pretty yellow wood in one place before, drooling...... :P ;)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Shaun

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 10:14:48 am »
That looks better than a 401k. Plenty to do if you ever manage to pull the plug on working for a living. Nice haul Timo!

Offline yazoo

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 10:18:10 am »
I cut wood two days last week, then I had to take a day off,, going to try to get three loads next week,,then take a nother day off,, turkey season week after, I dont hunt , I guide,while looking for osage, dont tell them ;D
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline sailordad

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 10:30:08 am »
timo thats awesome brother,i wish i had access to supplies like that.i aint afraid of hard work just dont have a  place to do that kind of hard work

i think shaun said it best  "looks better than a 401k"  and its probably worth more than most 401"s now too lol
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2009, 10:50:08 am »
I don't have many pictures of my osage cutting adventures. Many years behind the draw knife has left me with recurring carpel tunnel problems, probably from chasing grains on what I call bulldozer osage. This is the kind of osage you see about to be pushed into a burn pile, not often good stuff, but osage. I rescued tons of this stuff, twisted, gnarly and a killer to to work around the flaws, very labor intensive.

Here is one days cutting a few years ago. The temp was 108, my cutting buddy George wanted to bust it all with a sledge, no chainsaw kirfs. It was his haul, I was along for the ride. He worked a month on this stuff and it turned out to be substandard, chalky wood. The tree was a standing dead one.

Here is the biggest log we cut that day.

Offline redwasp

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2009, 03:29:25 pm »
I would say definately, hard work does pay off.  Its a great feeling to see something you've made, or helped make, last over the years.  From the looks of it it paid off very good. Enjoy the great harvest and put some away for tough times. ;).. Richard
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2009, 04:21:25 pm »
Show- Off!..... Nice going Timo! Notice the sunglasses? It's as bright as the sun there!

Offline wvbowhntr

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2009, 11:32:35 pm »
your a lucky guy osage is hard to come by around here i just got my first log but its only 38in so i will be splicing billets.
As for me and my house we will serve The Lord.  Greg in WV

Offline yazoo

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2009, 01:57:01 pm »
looks like some great wood, but I dont think it is necessary to skill saw out the staves especially on the good wood, it misrepresents the  longitudinal grain, regardless of how straight the log looks, It does not help in splitting a really good log, it wastes wood.   jmo  mike
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline Gordon

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2009, 09:53:42 pm »
Oh my!  :o
Gordon

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2009, 10:05:41 pm »
Hay timo.. remember me?
I'm your long lost brother's cousin's sisters friend....
remember the one that used to buy you beer before you were 21?

well keep me in mind if you would......

Nice haul buddy.
N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Timo

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2009, 10:43:05 pm »
N2,haveing trouble with my memory. :)

Mike, I understand your point about misrepresenting the longitutal grain,If I see that it wants to run off,then I split without a kerf.  I always remove all bark and sapwood before my staves go anywhere,and since I try to keep everything 2-2.5" wide,there is always plenty of wood for bows. Probly not needed for straight wood,but there are times when it come in handy,making the job easier? :)

Not sure about wasteing wood though? I seem to save wood.:)

Offline Olschool

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2009, 04:37:28 am »
DANG! You have almost as much yaller wood as I got to see at OJAM!
I think I have a bad case of Osage envy

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2009, 06:59:21 am »
Nice haul,yall have been busy. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good