Author Topic: mulberry bow stave reducing the back or "chasing a ring"  (Read 8514 times)

PirateSurferDude

mulberry bow stave reducing the back or "chasing a ring"
« on: March 22, 2009, 11:03:41 pm »
A while back I posted some questions about mulberry wood and some of the tactics used to make bows from such.  I got some great responses and I split one log and reduced the bottom and sides down to 3''x3''x6'.  I left the bark on the top side or what will be the back of the bow.  This was done in early January.  This weekend I decided to remove the bark and reduce the sapwood down to 2 growth rings and leave it on the back of the bow as a backing as a couple of you suggested; however, upon getting a third of the way down the stave, I noticed this aftenoon, after letting sit overnight in my shed outdoors, two longitudinal cracks about an inch in one place and 2 inches in another in the sapwood.  I was upset and frustrated to say the least but not entirely surprised. 

My question is when one is going to attempt to use a couple or so rings of sapwood and is chasing a ring down the stave how do you prevent these cracks from occurring?  Did I remove the bark too soon?  Should I have immediately sealed the wood as I chased the ring? Or are there some other proven strategies that I am ignorant to in this process?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: mulberry bow stave reducing the back or "chasing a ring"
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 11:09:25 pm »
Sap Wood will shrink and lose Moisture rapidly....I would have sealed it immediately after following the Ring....thus slowing down evaporation....but not necessarily stopping the Longitudinal cracks....sometime they will still happen with Sapwood...I normally take it all off to a good thick Dark Ring....and on Mulberry that ain't too hard to find!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 12:19:13 am »
Your wood was probably still too wet to reduce to a few sapwood rings without sealing. Shellac works well for this application because it is easy to remove or add final finish over it.
   You might want to go ahead and remove the sapwood,asap, before the checks go into the heartwood. If you don't mind the checks being there you can fill them with super glue then seal the back. They shouldn't hurt the bow except cosmetically.
   On bows I kept sapwood on the staves were completely dry.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 09:08:11 am »
I usually always seal the back with spray shellac or glue when I chase a ring, I've had too many check over the years (sapwood and heartwood). Sometimes wood that seems dry isn't when you get down inside it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 10:36:09 am »
The best scenario for osage, black locust and mulberry is remove the sapwood if there is enough heartwood. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

PirateSurferDude

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 01:43:56 pm »
Thanks guys!  I've made some very nice hickory bows in years past but this is my first attempt with mulberry.  I realized that the main mistake I made this weekend was diving in too early moisture content wise on this bow.  I will begin removing the rest of the sapwood tonight when I get off work.  I  greatly appreciate any and all advice and helpful hints.

PirateSurferDude

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 10:28:37 pm »
Pat B,

Just for future references, how many sapwood growth rings did you leave on the back of your mulberry bows?  I was attempting to leave 2 growth rings.

Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 11:20:06 pm »
Usually one or two. Be sure the sapwood is sound, though. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline shamus

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 10:37:09 am »
The best scenario for osage, black locust and mulberry is remove the sapwood if there is enough heartwood.

+10 to that.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 10:50:23 am »
I've left a couple rings of sapwood on mulberry bows before, looks good and no more trouble checking than heartwood-only. Heartwood will check too, especially locust, if it's not bone-dry. I just spray on some shellac or brush on some glue and it's good to go.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

PirateSurferDude

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 11:53:34 am »
Thanks Everyone!  I try to learn something new everyday.  Thanks for your knowledge and willingness to share it with others!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 11:55:39 am »
One thing about mulberry is the annual rings are usually thicker than other woods. Take that into consideration if you leave sapwood on the back.