Author Topic: Waterproofing selfbows  (Read 4557 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Waterproofing selfbows
« on: March 23, 2009, 12:14:44 pm »
Spar urethane is by far the best water proofing finish I have ever used. It's an exterior finish. After all I use it on my snowshoes. If I'm caught in the rain the grain on the belly is not raised at all. Not the same with Tru Oil. Rain raises the grain. I'm torn though because I love the way Tru Oil fills up the little lines of early wood. It's a great sealer. Now here's the question. Has anyone ever used Tru Oil to seal the grain and then given it a coat of spar urethane as a finish coat? If not with Tru Oil then how about with linseed oil? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Waterproofing selfbows
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 12:32:36 pm »
Yes Jawge I do it all the time,I put 7/8 coats of tru oil on the light steel wool then spray with satin Polly. :) Haden't had any problem in the last 2 or 3 years I have been doing it.
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 12:44:23 pm »
I would agree with you on spar. I started using it one year on a tru oil finish hickory bow w/o a strike plate. Needed to h20proof this high wear area. Both give a nice finish and are easy to find. Since then, I buy it by the gallon and use it for sealing ends and backs on fresh wood.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 12:53:10 pm »
Excellent. Thanks, Tracy and Pappy. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 01:32:00 pm »
George, I too use spray satin poly over Tru-Oil but to dull the shine, not seal it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

DCM

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 01:55:34 pm »
You can also top coat w/ just plain old parafine, or Johnson's wax.  Seems bead water really well w/ the wax on top.

I have had similar results w/ Tru-oil, polycrylic, etc.  Spar is kinda dark.  Epoxy is a pita to deal with and apply.  I've been just using wipe on poly, 6 to 8 coats to fill pores, w/ a thick top coat of (hard parafine) wax worked in w/ a little mineral spirits.  You can get a gloss shine w/ some buffing, or leave it flat.  The wipe on poly can be used in a manner very similar to tru-oil, working it in to nearly dry.  Helps w/ the tie ebetween repeat coats too.  Kinda of an evolution for me from using as much product as I could get to stick w/ out runs to a really thin, faster drying coat but more of them.  The secret to better results, filling deep pores in grain on the belly, for me seemed to be in the sanding and prep between coats, and lots of them.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 02:11:59 pm »
I use 5-6 coats minwax spray polyurethane sanded in between coats, with a coat of paste wax over it.  Hasn't failed me yet. I re coat with wax from time to time just to be certain though.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

330bull

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 04:23:11 pm »
I have done exactl;y what both Pappy and Pat B have done and love the results. 

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 07:18:49 pm »
Thanks, Joe, DCM and Ryano. Jawge
Set Happens!