Author Topic: Missed my draw weight again  (Read 2515 times)

bearbowman

Missed my draw weight again
« on: March 24, 2009, 10:12:44 am »
I am starting to get good at piking bows.
I don't get the short string on soon enough. I don't know if my youthful exuberance gets the best of me or what.
This is my third try and it's the second bow I will be piking.
I'm posting this just fishing for some idea's. I know I need to brace my bow's earlier. How do you guys know when to brace your bows? I'm sure I am still going to get a shooter out of it.

thanks,
Bob

Offline cracker

Re: Missed my draw weight again
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 10:36:45 am »
When the bend in the bow is equal to what my brace height would be I brace it jmo. Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 10:38:12 am »
Wisdom comes with experience ::) :P
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 10:38:53 am »
Bob, if your long string is about the same length of the bow it will read about the same pounds at the same draw length even though it is not braced. When it is hitting target weight at about 22" it is usually safe to brace it. I normally just look at my tip deflection and when I am getting about 8" tip movement I brace it. Steve

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 01:25:03 pm »
i agree with badger, i get the tips to move just far enough to get the short string on and i go to brace from there.
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit